Your Upcoming Students- How many do you know?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 15, 2009.

1. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

I don't know any of them because it is my first year teaching. But I have been looking at pictures from last year so I can start to try and recognize a few!

2. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

I know 5 out of my 23 already. I probably have seen all the others, just haven't put the name with the face yet. I do have the sister of 1 of my student's from this year.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2009

Out of 10 K students I will have 5 of them. I don't know which 5 yet. I haven't worked with pre-k so I don't know them well but I do know them by face and when I see them I can probably name most of them. I see them in the gym for bus duty and at recess. One will be brand new to the school. One of them hugged me everyday last year. That's the kid I probably know the best and I only know him by hug. Typically as an aide I knew most of the kids in all grades from 1st through 4th and some in Pre-K, K and 5th. It depended on which classes I worked with. This year, as I embark on my first teaching year, I am a little bit excited that I don't know the students that well. It'll be a clean slate and I look forward to building a rapport. At the same time I am glad I don't have to memorize 20 names and will likely be able to put names to faces having call most of them for bus duty.

4. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

When I got my initial class list last week, I had 23 students. I had 9 of them in my class last year and another 5 in my reading group, so I know 14 of them very well. Another 8 of them I know from seeing them in the halls and around school. I have one that is new to our school this year that I don't know at all.

However, we don't start school until September 9 and our student population is very transient. So I'm not sure what the class list I get in early September will look like - we've been having a lot of enrollments and I'm sure some withdrawals, so it will be interesting to see how many kids I still know when I get my updated list.

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

Out of 27, I don't know any of them really well. Many (eight or nine) are siblings of previous students. Two of them I know by reputation only (yikes!). We have two girls that are new to our school, and there are two returning students that I really can't place. I can usually learn their names relatively quickly.

6. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 16, 2009

Out of 19 kids, I only know 1. She is the younger sister of a student I had previously. The others are all mysteries to me ;)

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 16, 2009

That's smart. I did that before my first year of teaching, too, and knew who was coming in when I saw them at Open House. :) I got a yearbook from the school to look at.

I do that every year, actually- flip through the yearbook. I make lots of connections then.

8. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

Unless there is a new student, I will know all of mine. Granted, half of them I had last year (the joys of split grade classes, right?) The rest I had for lunch or recess duty last year (ah, small schools). So, no real surprises for me, unless some left that I'm not aware of.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

I don't know any of them. I am new to the community. Heck I barely know the other 7 teachers in the grade level or the other teachers at my school.

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

I moved from second to third this year so out of 28 students I am getting 5 of my students from next year. I know about some of the others from lunchroom talk and doing music as a grade level. We do Friday rotations this year so I'll get to teach all 140 of them!!

11. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

I'm a brand new teacher, so I don't know ANY of them. But I had lunch with the 3rd grade teachers last week and they told me about a few of the kids. Apparently it's a good thing my room has a ceiling fan because one kid in particular is a little fart machine. :help: