Your thoughts on "Teacher of the Year"?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TrademarkTer, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Feb 7, 2018

This year my school had 5 nominees for TOTY and 3 were really good, one is probably good but I don't know enough about what goes on in her class to know one way or another and the last one was a real head scratcher because, even though she is nice and very social, she really isn't a very good teacher (she is a yeller and she really doesn't innovate or do anything new, and she doesn't really do much to contribute to the staff like presenting during PD days or offering up ideas or support to new teachers while the others do).

The staff nominate people and the teachers vote for the winner. And the winner this year will be....The real head scratcher nominee. I just don't get it.

Well I guess now I know what the award is-a popularity contest. I hope I never win since it will now be meaningless

2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Habitué

Feb 8, 2018

Have you *personally* observed this teacher in her classroom? Do her students have great test scores or so-so ones? Are you basing your opinions on the heresay of your colleagues? She may have just had a bad day or a bad batch of students in a particular year.

Are you upset you weren’t nominated and so you’re mad she was? And now the award is meaningless thereafter?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Feb 8, 2018

I'm at a small special ed private school so we don't have anything like teacher of the year. A parent came to visit the other day and thanked me for what I do in class with her son and gave me a hug. I did feel like teacher of the year (at least for a day LOL).

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Feb 8, 2018

I am not the person you responded to BUT....
    I think you are missing a big point here. The teachers are voting on this. Chances are the vast majority of teachers voting have NOT observed most (or all) of the teachers who were nominated. Like you said, most of the voters have NOT personally observed what it is they are voting on. Personally I've seen a lot of other math teachers in my school teach, but no one outside of my department. Why should I be voting on who gets the award when I haven't seen these people in action? It makes no sense. If it's going to be done, I feel it should be done in a balanced way, such as 1/4 parent input, 1/4 student input, 1/4 admin input, and 1/4 other teacher input. Out of those 4 groups, I would think other teachers (or maybe parents) have the least idea about what the teacher is doing. Admin who have observed or students who have been taught have the most insight.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Habitué

Feb 8, 2018

I think this method of selecting TOTY is fair. That’s mostly what happens at my private school — parents, students, and admin all vote for who they think is the best teacher. The only exception is that teachers don’t vote because we might choose favorites since the majority of us are all friends with at least one other teacher.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Feb 8, 2018

EXACTLY. In my school it is 100% the opposite----the teachers are the ONLY ones deciding. That is my biggest beef with it.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Habitué

Feb 8, 2018

Got it. Now it makes sense why you’re frustrated.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 11, 2018

Why the assumption that teachers who do not like this award are teachers that have never been nominated or haven't ever won? We're not in fourth grade where we assume that people who don't like us must be jealous.

mathmagic likes this.