Your thoughts on "Teacher of the Year"?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TrademarkTer, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Belch

Belch Companion

Jan 28, 2018

We certainly don't do that here, but what we do is have students fill out questionnaires asking them to rate us on a 1 to 5 scale on things like comprehensibility, interaction with students, following the syllabus, and so forth.

These don't translate into awards, but are rather a way for us to understand from the student's point of view how we need to improve ourselves.

I'm guessing that this teacher of the year award is much like being employee of the month at walmart. You get your face on a placard that walmart shoppers don't care about, and tomorrow will continue to follow today.

2. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jan 28, 2018

This doesn't exist where I teach, and I'm glad. I'll take the "thank you" notes from parents and coloring sheets from my students.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jan 28, 2018

I get both the award and those things you mentioned. I’ll happily continue to take both.

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 28, 2018

Definitely a little projection here, like when you read about public schools and their strong unions ;)

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jan 28, 2018

Actually, I have no problem with unions. I actually support teachers unions, by and large. What I don’t like is all the legal hoops school districts have to go through to remove blatantly incompetent teachers. For example, I just read about a teacher in these forums who refuses to teach, write and submit lesson plans, and tells their principal that they’re not going to do anything he says. Yeah, that’s not okay. Someone should not have protections when they refuse to or are unable to do their job, regardless if they have tenure or not. I’m so sick of hearing “that’s policy.” There should be clauses that allow an alternative action, separate of the usual legal channels, if employees are completely out of line. It gives ALL teachers a bad name when bad teachers are allowed to keep their jobs, especially when administrators have numerous pieces of evidence against them which demonstrate their ineptitude.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2018

Uh, what? :confused: Clearly, you didn't read what I wrote carefully enough. :rolleyes: I'm not unhappy nor angry, nor do I want... the only thing I expressed frustration with was the childish "haters gonna hate" / jealousy comments, which are by no means true.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2018

I understood it, as I'm sure others did by using context clues. I fixed the three letters for you in the quote above, so you can better understand it. Probably just a mobile "whoopsies".

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jan 29, 2018

They’re actually true. Just by reading through some of your comments and others it is obvious of your/their disdain for this practice. They basically boil down to, “unfair blah blah blah popularity contest blah blah blah WE are hard working, too.”

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jan 29, 2018

I understood the first sentence and the second half of the second sentence. Thanks for translating.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  10. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jan 29, 2018

I think TOTY type stuff can be good IF done well. Some personalities are really encouraged with public praise. (And that's ok!)

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2018

Then "it is obvious" that you don't fully understand what we're saying, which is unfortunate.

Here's a slight example for you: imagine being a white person back in the days of slavery. Think the white person is "jealous" of those of color? No, of course not. I doubt that those same people would be jealous of those white people who owned the slaves, too, even though they might have "more" than them. I'd imagine that some (clearly not most at that time) though would feel that the practice was unfair and shouldn't happen.

Just because you dislike something or feel it isn't an appropriate practice doesn't mean you are jealous. To think so is shortsighted at best.

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jan 29, 2018

As soon as you brought up slavery I stopped reading.

13. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jan 29, 2018

I think that TOTY awards can cause jealousy among some teachers, but it's useful to celebrate good teaching.

14. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 29, 2018

If it really is about good teaching. As explained above, many times it isn't about good teaching.

Define good teaching Tyler. No one can put a definition to it.

15. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jan 29, 2018

TOTY involves the pubic celebrating good teaching. Perhaps the system for choosing the celebrated teacher is flawed and another teacher might be a better choice, but when the public feels proud of their teachers, it attracts strong teaching people to the to profession and makes practicing teachers know someone's paying attention to all their hard work.

CherryOak and mathmagic like this.
  16. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2018

In NJ, the state is involved in public schools, taking the county winners, and then going more in depth in how these teachers are "best of the best" based on actually observing them teach. This, of course, is for the state TOTY. The county winners are pulled from school nominated teachers. As someone else said, retiring teachers, or teachers the district would like to see retired are frequently nominated. I am not going to hazard my guess on this forum about why this happens.

17. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2018

Good point!

18. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jan 29, 2018

Wow.
    I've been TOY at my school twice, and I was honored to receive the recognition from my peers. We vote as a faculty every year. All of the schools in our district do this. We have to fill out a fairly extensive portfolio, get letters of recommendation, and attend an interview at the central office. One of us is then chosen to be the district TOY. I've never gotten past the school level, which is actually fine with me.

I don't care to ever get it again. The portfolio is a lot of work and the interview is during summer vacation (boo! LOL). But at our school, the TOY gets some nice perks. Flowers, a nice trophy, a gift card to a nice restaurant, no homeroom for the year (which means no cumulative folders to deal with at the end of the year), no morning, lunch, or afternoon duties, we never have to keep ASD (After School Detention), and we get a reserved parking space with a "Teacher of the Year" sign.

I'm certainly not a popularity queen, and I don't really do anything extraordinary at school. I think both of my wins were because of my high test scores, and maybe the fact that I am easy to get along with? I really don't know. I feel like Peter Gibbons on Office Space a lot of the time at work. LOL.

CherryOak likes this.
  19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2018

Lol

Fixed it!

20. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 29, 2018

1) I have literally zero desire to work towards an award that would require me kissing my own [posterior].

2) There is exactly one teacher that I see often enough to definitively nominate for an award such as teacher of the year.

3) In regards to point #2, re-read point #1.

bella84 and mathmagic like this.