Your thoughts on "Teacher of the Year"?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TrademarkTer, Jan 28, 2018.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Jan 28, 2018

How do you feel about "Teacher of the Year" award? In my district, I feel it is pretty political. You have to be nominated by another teacher (not parent or student), and then if you are nominated, you have to fill out a form about why you think you deserve it (your accomplishments, contributions, etc.) Then a group of past winners decide who gets it. The "rubric" they use puts great weight into contributions outside of the classroom, like coaching and organizing PD, and the award seems to have very little to do with actual teaching.

To me it would make more sense if it were based on things such as classroom observations, test scores, and parent/student feedback.

TXforever and a2z like this.
  3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2018

I'm not a big fan of those kinds of awards, simply because I'm not a fan of the idea of teachers being better/worse than others. I'd prefer to think of all as one big team, each with different skill sets and strengths.

4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 28, 2018

I think recognition is important and maybe small awards or recognition for accomplishments, but no not really a fan of teacher of the year, especially when chosen based on the reasons you stated.

5. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Jan 28, 2018

I’ve taught in two districts, and they’ve both been more of a popularity contest or admin favorites. At my first district, you had to teach three years before going on the ballot. The teacher who won had only been there two years...she was a favorite and, according to admin, more deserving than the rest of us.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2018

In most public schools I have worked at it has either been a popularity contest or chosen by the P.

bella84, a2z and Leaborb192 like this.
  7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 28, 2018

just like voting for homecoming queen/king A ridiculous waste of time and resources.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 28, 2018

Only one of the three districts I've worked in has done TOTY, and that one only did it the first year I was there. In that case, other staff had to write letters for you and then a committee at the district level chose who won. I didn't win, but had two teachers write letters for me and I was given the letters after the process was over. I really cherished those letters. It didn't really matter to me that I didn't win.

Unless there is a big monetary bonus or something like that to go along with winning, I'm honestly not sure why people let it bother them so much, especially if it's kind of a well known fact that it's a popularity contest. If you know that Teacher A won solely because she's bubbly and outgoing, that shouldn't make you question anything about your own teaching abilities compared to Teacher A's.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Habitué

Jan 28, 2018

Seems like some of you guys are jealous, but’s that’s just what I think. At my private school, the students and parents vote for who they think is Teacher of the Year and I won three years running — this is my 4th year at the school. It is something that we teachers look forward to because it is nice being recognized for all the hard work we put in. My colleagues have congratulated me every time and never acted put out because they didn’t win the award. I hope to win it this year, too! :)

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Jan 28, 2018

That system would be more appealing to me. While still a bit of a popularity contest, it is likely more based on what is actually occurring in the classroom than on being friendly with colleagues.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jan 28, 2018

I was nominated and won County Teacher of the Year several years ago. Two colleagues voted for me (both teachers had children of their own in my class that year). Thankfully, I didn't have to write anything about myself or justify why I thought I should've won. In fact, I didn't even know I was in the race until someone from the county office of ed contacted me.

I was pretty matter-of-fact about winning, though. I loathe being in the spotlight.

Reading certain responses on this thread, though, make me think of the Taylor Swift song Shake It Off: "...cuz the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate..."

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Jan 28, 2018

Not jealous because things like that aren’t my gig. I’ve asked that my name not even be put on the ballot at each school I’ve been at. It’s just annoying when one person, who isn’t any better than another, wins because of who their friends are.

13. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 28, 2018

At my school, they won’t consider you unless you’re retiring. A teacher literally saved a student’s life and didn’t get it.

14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2018

I'm actually a bit offended at the comments about "haters gonna hate" and that I'm jealous.

First, I get nothing but brilliant notes back from parents, many finding ways to try to get their kid in my class. I ended last year with kids and myself in tears at the fact the year was ending. State testing results have shown my class grow to a greater extent than the grade level average. To me, both of those things are a million times more important than an "award". Note - I'm not saying I'm better than the other teachers. In fact, I think I actually have tons of room to grow and am not yet at the level that many of them are in many areas. I'm saying this because I do know that there are certain strengths that I have, but I also know that no matter how positively others might see me, I have my weaknesses and there are many elements that I need to continue to grow in.

Secondly, I wouldn't actually want an award, so that jealously can't exist. I want to focus on continually improving, learning from others, and giving my fourth graders the best possible education and 180 days that they deserve.

Lastly, I don't hate those that do get an award. Clearly, they did something that deserved praise: either making strong connections, making a difference in some fashion, or something similar.

I'm just not a big fan of the "choosing one teacher over the others". Again, that's because we each have our strengths and weaknesses, and affect education in very different ways that I personally believe shouldn't be put into a competition. Is teacher A's more public display of caring for their students more important than teacher B's more quiet, individualized showing of their caring for students? Are the 3 programs that teacher C started more important than the time that teacher D took to support their students outside of school when no one else was there to support them? etc...

(That being said, to each their own, and those that win should, most of the time, be proud of themselves for having won that award.)

TXforever likes this.
  15. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 28, 2018

Jealousy? Haters gonna hate? What is this 7th grade gym class?

Kat. and mathmagic like this.
  16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jan 28, 2018

We have a monthly award for our district. There is one for certified employee, classified employee, and community partner. It's a better indication of who actually does deserving things than the "teacher of the year" type of award.

17. Teacher234

Teacher234 Companion

Jan 28, 2018

In my opinion, I feel that "Teacher of the Year" is ridiculous because it is based off biased information. Teacher of the Year is just unnecessary as Beauty Pageants.

18. Teacher234

Teacher234 Companion

Jan 28, 2018

In an unrelated note to my previous post, I think it is safe to say that we all agree on one opinion.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2018

My current district doesnt do. In a former school, (small, private), the principal actually had people raise their hand if they hadnt been TOTY yet and chose one from those:rolleyes:.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Habitué

Jan 28, 2018

What does this mean? In English, please.

21. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Habitué

Jan 28, 2018

Sounds like the textbook definition of jealousy to me:

Jealousy - a feeling of unhappiness and anger because someone has something or someone that you want

jealousy
    [jel-uh-see]
    noun, plural jeal·ous·ies for 4.
    1. jealous resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.