Your teaching load in high school?

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by sahsjing, May 18, 2010.

1. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

May 18, 2010

I just got my teaching load for the next year:
    Per. 1 AMC10 & 12
    Per. 2 IB Math HL with AP Calculus BC
    Per. 3 IB Math SL with AP Calculus AB
    Per. 4 Algebra II (H)
    Per. 5 Precalculus (H)
    Per. 6 Algebra II (R)
    Per. 7 Preparation
    Per. 8 Physics (H)

So, essentially there are 8 periods a day. I have to teach 7 periods a day in an independent private school.

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 18, 2010

I teach 6 periods in a 7 period day. I have 2 sections each of Physics (H), Physics (R), and Physical Science (H).

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2010

My schedule varies a little from day to day.

I teach my 4 core classes (Algebra I, and 3 sections of Geometry Honors) every day.

Algebra has a double period every other day. On the days it doesn't (in theory) I have an SAT prep instead.

I also have a study hall every day, as well as an "on call period" in which I could be asked to cover any class in the building.

I have at least lunch and one prep period off every single day. If I don't get a sub, I also have that period free.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 18, 2010

I currently teach 7 periods plus one prep on an 8-period rotating block. Our schedule is changing next year to a 6-period straight schedule, so I'll be teaching 5 periods plus one prep.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 18, 2010

We have 5-70 minute periods/day. With a trimester schedule. Typical classes are 2 trimesters with freshman English and Math courses, AP, and SPED courses being all year. Most teachers have four classes and one prep per day. However, as the Department Chair I teach three. Typically each teacher has 2-3 preps. For example, my friend teaches Western Civilization I Honors, Western Civ CP, and then Issue in Asia. While I typically teach Western Civilization I Honors, US I Honors, and APUSH. Honestly, as department chair I pick up the left over classes each year and this is what they always tend to be (well except AP; which no one wants to teach).

7. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

May 22, 2010

Thanks for sharing your teaching load information.

Yesterday, I was told that I got released of teaching the Physics (H). But I'll teach IB Physics and AP Physics a year later.

8. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

May 24, 2010

Hi! I'm curious - why is your school going from a block to a "regular" 6 period day? Did they give you any reasons? I'd love to do this where I teach, but need more reasons to use to try to convince people (smile!)

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 24, 2010

Are you asking me?

Our schedule is changing because it saves money. The block schedule is expensive. By eliminating it, we lose about 10-15 teaching positions, which equals lots of $$$.

I think it also cuts down on the number of electives offered, since students have only 6 classes instead of 8. They can focus more on core classes and credit retrieval, which is what needs to happen at my school (we have low test scores).

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 24, 2010

Oh, and also it means that we see our students waaaaay more over the course of the year.

On an 8-period rotating block, students have 7,650 minutes of seat time. That's 90 class meetings times 85 minutes per class meeting.

On a 6-period straight schedule, students have 9,900 minutes of seat time. That's 180 class meetings times 55 minutes per class meeting.

I think that adds up to an additional 37+ hours of instructional time per year. That's pretty incredible. Think of what you can teach in 37 hours!!