Your Plans for 2014-15?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. I, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2014

We're approaching the end of the year & it's time to start thinking about what we'll do next year. If you know you're guaranteed back at your current place, that's great, but for others of you, what do you plan to do?

I'm at this school in which it's my first year there. I despised it at the beginning & didn't know how much more I could take, but I learned to make the best of it, but it's far from great. I do LOVE the schedule I have there now, which is very hard to beat, but I'm going to see what I can find over the summer & if I can't find anything else to my liking, I might, might try to return there. If I don't return, no problem whatsoever! I've got other projects I'm working on.

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2014

I'm finishing up my second year teaching first grade at a charter school in southern CA, and I will be teaching fifth grade (most likely) at a charter school in northern CA next year! We are moving in July. I am totally thrilled. I got the job a week ago, and it's been such a relief. I love my current school, but I do not love my current area. I can't wait to move. Also, my new school seems really great. It was my first choice before they even posted any openings. They use a lot of technology, lots of project based learning, and the workshop model, which I completely love. I am VERY excited! :woot:

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2014

I'll be back at my same school, teaching, at this point, a split grade 7/8 class. I'm looking forward to a less stressful start to the school year--this year, the first time we stepped into the building was the Friday before school started!

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Cohort

Mar 18, 2014

If I'm rehired, I will stay. :D

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2014

I have tenure at my current school but am going to start looking for something closer to home. I drive an hour each way and the commute is starting to get to me. If I don't find anything closer, no problem. I love my current school and am happy to stay.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2014

I will be staying at my school, and hopefully in my grade level. That being said I'm not really thrilled in the grade level I'm teaching, but I think it has a lot to do with the kids I have this year more than the actual grade level. I have a pretty tough class and the parents aren't much help.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Habitué

Mar 18, 2014

I am still technically a sub, though had a 3-month maternity leave position that likely gained me a significant boost to the resume, letters of rec, and overall status. However, my confidence in myself is such that I have yet to decide that I want to start applying to districts this year...

If I'm able to get myself over that hurdle, it'll be just applying to this and numerous other school districts after some initial changes to my resume and adding the letters...and lots of practice interviewing as I am horrible at them.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Mar 18, 2014

I'm leaving the profession.

10. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Comrade

Mar 18, 2014

I am going to look for other jobs closer to home. If I don't find anything then I will be at my current school. I am desperate to find a school that has a lower work load. I have no textbooks, 1.5 hour classes and no prep period….. Great school with great kids, just too much work. While I know every teaching job takes a lot of work, I know another regular school could be a little less work.

11. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Mar 18, 2014

I will be beginning my junior year of college.

I will be doing more actual teaching in my fieldwork. I'm really excited for that.

12. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Mar 18, 2014

I will be moving back to the US in July and am applying in every county near Atlanta, Asheville, and Raleigh/Durham. Plan B is to find a substitution or pre-k position in one of these cities, and if all else fails, I have a plan C, D, and E. Would you like to super-size your value meal?

13. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Mar 18, 2014

I am looking for positions closer to home, as I did last year. I like my current school, but the commute is nearly an hour and a half one way and being a Catholic school, the pay is not great. If nothing works out in my job search, I'll stay there.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2014

I'm staying put! probably in 7th SPED.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

I'm staying put.

I'm single-subject certified 7-12 in a 6-8 building, so there isn't much movement for me. Only one middle school and one high school in our district. I've been here 21 years, so I'm the senior person in our department. I want to stay put, so I'll probably stay put.

16. Ash3

Ash3 New Member

Mar 18, 2014

Why are all these tenured teaching replying? The OP asked what are you going to people with uncertain jobs are doing. If you're in the OP's situation, as I am!, it's annoying to read "Staying" by a million posters. I see this a lot on the forums. This is why I don't think I will be posting again. There's a bit of a mean spiritedness. I've seen people do it over and over again. Thanks for ruining the day of someone who is currently looking for a job. I'm very HAPPY you have a job while us peon in this forum eat dirt.

17. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Mar 18, 2014

I have requested a transfer in district for a middle or secondary social studies position. I would prefer 6th, 7th, or 9th grade world history, as long as it's world history, I don't care what the grade is at this point! I'm over math! I'm also scouting the job vacancies in local districts as well, watching for a posting compatible with what I'm looking for. In my area, social studies positions come up on a regular basis, unlike other areas where they never come up--so if nothing comes up this year, something definitely will in the next year or two.

If nothing opens up in the interim, I guess, I will be staying where I'm at...which is 4th grade math/science.

18. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Mar 18, 2014

That was completely uncalled for. Totally. Feel free to go with your gut about posting again.

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2014

Ummm.... I was not trying to be mean spirited. I am hoping to transfer somewhere else, so right now my future is a bit up in the air. Sorry that was so offensive.

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

I'm not sure I see how someone else having a job ruins your day, nor do I see the meanness in a poster saying she will have the same job next year.

21. waterfall

waterfall Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

I'll be returning to the same position. I'm happy to not have to job search this summer! Supposedly we're getting another sped teacher next year, so I'm hoping to move to just K-3.