your age when you first started teaching

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dodgerblues, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Sep 25, 2009

Baltimore Co., Maryland

They require subs to be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma. It has worked out great for me. However, some subs that work in the schools are horrible (those with and without degrees). In my (biased) opinion, it's all about why you are there and not how old you are. Experienced subs are few and far between (as it is either ed. majors, career changers, or mothers that want to be home when their kids get out of school). The subs that have subbed for years usually don't have an education; just their experience (which can be good or bad depending on their experiences).

2. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2009

I wouldn't have had the confidence to teach in my 20s - especially my early 20s. I really admire you all who start so young. I started at 47. One tiny advantage being older is that the students assume you've been teaching a LONG time (if they only knew).

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2009

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

I started teaching at 21. I'm a September baby, and unfortunatly (?) look very young for my age. Luckily I'm with elementary kids. I started my third year this year at 23.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2009

I was 23 when I first started teaching, but that was at the elementary level. I didn't feel comfortable teaching high school at that time. I'm now 28 and am in a middle school and feel completely comfortable teaching the kidds and could do high school at this age too.

6. DareToDream

DareToDream Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

I turned 18 not too long ago and recently started college. I'm going to be getting field experience beginning Monday in a senior classroom. There could definitely be some students older than I am. By the time I start teaching at 22, I'm afraid I'll still look young.

7. mathrulz

mathrulz Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

I was 25 when I started teaching in the junior high. What helped me was creating a "professional teacher persona." I came to school everyday wearing dress pants and a buttoned-down shirt. I was professional. I didn't talk about my personal life.

Now that I am older. I don't feel like I have to keep that same persona. I am still professional but I dress more my style. My classroom management is the same but I don't feel like I have to pretend that I am older than I am to be taken seriously.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 26, 2009

I had just turned 22 when I started teaching seniors. I had one 17 year old student, one 19 year old, and one who turned 20 before graduation. Most were 18. I never had any trouble. My best friend's boyfriend was in my class, which was a little weird. And once the assistant principal asked me where I was supposed to be---out in the hall during class time--and I told him I was on planning. It wouldn't ahve been so bad if that hadn't been my SECOND year teaching there.

9. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 27, 2009

I was 22 when I first started teaching high school. It's been 4 years now and I'm still considered the young teacher but thankfully my age isn't an issue anymore because my students have seen me around the building for a few years.

10. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 27, 2009

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm still an undergrad, but I will be 24 when I start teaching. I still look (and feel!) really young, but I have been married for 4 1/2 years and my son will be 2 by the time I start teaching. I'm hoping that makes me seem older to the high school students I'll be teaching. Our professors keep emphasizing that we need to look older or we'll never get a job, much less be good at classroom management. This thread at least gave me hope that it's possible! ;)

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 27, 2009

I don't know where he is, but I could have been subbing at 18. Subs need 60 credit hours of college to sub, and I had that many at 18. I started college at 17, went to summer school, and had taken AP classes in high school. So, I had the credit hours.

I didn't sub, however. I wasn't even in the eduation program when I started college.

12. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Sep 27, 2009

I was 24.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2009

I started subbing 2 weeks after my 23rd birthday. It was weird because my sister was still in HS and I had her and her friends who I knew forever.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 27, 2009

15. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 27, 2009

I wanted to add - I was 20 when I started subbing, but all they required was a HS diploma, so I could have been 18. In the district I was in, you had to be at least 23 to sub in high school, but that's not the case where we are now. Here, you can be 18 and sub in high school, as long as you have a diploma.

16. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Sep 27, 2009

I was 21, a long time ago.........

17. 4capulina

4capulina Rookie

Oct 11, 2009

I started teaching last year... when i was 28. I felt like being older and more mature helped me out alot. I speak for myself when i say that i was an idiot when i was 22; thus, i could never have taught at that age. :dizzy:

18. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Oct 11, 2009

I am 25. :)

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 11, 2009

I was a sub in my sister's high school and it was definitely weird having some of her friends in my classes! I never had her, though. I also had some siblings of the people I went to high school with! A lot of them knew me so even though I looked very young at 22 and 23, they knew I wasn't younger. I got asked for a hall pass one time by a monitor LOL I had to show her my sub folder so she would believe me :lol:

20. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 11, 2009

I was 25 and I was in the same High School which I graduated from.