Your Adventures in Setting Up Your Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Opal

Opal Companion

Jul 30, 2011

When I do get the opportunity to set up my room, it will certainly be an adventure!

It will be a clean slate, as it is a brand new building that is not even ready yet! :eek:

I start Monday for orientation at a different site and will hopefully hear that we will be able to get into our rooms sooner rather than later. Right now, we are slated to have just 3 days to get everything ready before the students come.

Did I mention I have NO idea what my room looks like, and I need to buy stuff to decorate? I haven't taught in 7 years so I need to get started on that since all of my other stuff is o.l.d.

I can't wait!! :D

2. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 30, 2011

Ah, moving into a new room. We did that 5 years ago. We moved in 2 days before school started, had 1 day to get ready for open house, and had a tornado (yes a tornado) on the first day of school. No one will ever forget our first year in our building.

For this year: My mom has been helping me try to go through things. I'm trying to purge and go through everything. At this point I have gone through everything and gotten rid of lots. My closet looks great and organized! However the rest of my room looks a mess! I have a goal of getting everything put away where it belongs tomorrow afternoon. That will give me all of next week to get my room arranged and begin on beginning of the year stuff.

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 30, 2011

I must admit--this thread really makes me chuckle!

Ahhhh...the things we teachers go though. I would love to see a reality show one day about the lives of teachers!

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 30, 2011

I have not passed through the doors of my school since the last teacher day. I'm going Monday for a meeting and I'm dropping off stuff I've bought and will get my key, but we don't have air conditioning and I'm not spending a day inside with ac when it's 104 outside.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

I used to teach at an old school on the 2nd floor and would go in August (in Texas) and put my room together when it was 100+ degrees outside.

Thankfully I now teach in a school where they keep the a/c going in the summer - they have it set at 85, but we know a way around that! (Lamp near the a/c thermostat works great!

6. NYTeacher83

NYTeacher83 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

My school is currently undergoing a capital project. Each room is being abated and whatnot. I've had trainings and meetings at school periodically, and each day that I've been in, I've checked the room.

Well, the first time I checked, everything was in the center of the room, but I had no ceiling. The second time I checked, no ceiling, tons of dust and debris, and no WALLS. My room was just a shell...

I got very frustrated when I was told that I probably won't get into my room until the last week of vacation.

On a positive, it's felt very good not to go in to school to work this summer!

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 31, 2011

This is the first summer I'm not spending a week in the heat. I'll have to be up there the whole time the ac is on, but I think it'll be worth it. I don't have the stamina I had before all of my surgeries.

8. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Jul 31, 2011

I am a little confused by this. IEP's still exist for students receiving special education services.

9. lovelit

lovelit Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

jcar03, I'm also a little confused. IEPs definitely still exist. I've never even heard of RtI. Maybe that's a new system in Illinois?

Anywho, I found some scary stuff when I moved into my room last year! The teacher who had the room before me had been terminated, so I guess she just left everything in there for me to clean up because she had been fired anyways. Expired apple sauce cups, old melted lip balm, personal notes that appeared to have been from a lover, all kinds of crazy stuff was in that desk!! Haha.

10. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

We have RtI is an intervention program for reading and math. We have it in place in my district. However, if the student is not successful and qualifies for special education, an IEP is written for that student.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

They do... but here in FL, RtI is taking precedence. A child who may need an IEP has to go through the entire RtI process and all three tiers before an IEP can be written.

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2011

Response to Intervention. It's basically al kinds of intervention (different ways of teaching) for struggling kids. We have RtI and have for a number of years now, but when RtI doesn't work, kids can be tested and if they qualify have an IEP.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2011

We do RtI AND IEPs.