young children and behavior

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mschristine23, Sep 16, 2007.

1. mschristine23

mschristine23 Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

what are some techniques and strategies you use? i have a young class and for the most part they are great. i do have one student though that likes to make noises and then at times it is easy to kind of over look them but when they become to loud it's hard to talk over. they usually are at lunch and around nap time. for the lunch time i try to read a story or put a book on cd in for them to pay attention to. anymore ideas would be greatly appreciated. i try to reinforce good behavior but there are alot of factors i am looking at that might be the cuase.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 16, 2007

How young?

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 20, 2007

I have 3's and a bunch of my class is REALLY young (turned 3 over the summer). During nap time, what's working right now is to tell them we're having a race to see who can be the quietest and go to sleep first. They LOVE that... anything that they think they can "win" is motivation, even when EVERYONE wins.

I will have kids leave the circle, stand instead of sit, or sit away from the group in a chair if they can't behave on the carpet. I tell them that it isn't fair that all my other friends wanted to hear the story/learn xyz/sing songs, whatever it is that we're doing... but they couldn't, because you were making noises. I also tell them that when they're ready to be quiet and act "like a big kid," they're welcome back in my big kid circle.

In our building, my room is the first time they've been on the "Older side" of the building, so we talk a LOT about how "we're big kids, not babies. Big kids _________" or "this is a big kid activity" or "a big kid snack." BUT we can only do it if EVERYBODY acts like a big kid.

It's working so far...

How old are your kids?

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 20, 2007

Give them a quiet signal (shhh finger). Then say, "Thank you for listening. I like your big kid quiet voice." (or something similar...I dont' teach this age).