You may find this article interesting.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, May 6, 2018.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 7, 2018

I am beginning to think it’s an unwritten rule...

In every corporate job I’ve had, they held an annual Crusade of Mercy/Employee Diaster Fund donation drive. Each dept has 1/2 hr meeting, we watch sob-story video about 3 people whose lives were devestated. “And your generous payroll deduction will help others.”

After the meeting and snacks to perk you back up, you get to sit down with your boss. She has a pre-printed payroll deduction card with your name and several amounts ‘suggested’ for your fair share.

First job, this happened. My boss says, “So how much are you donating?” I said, “None?”

I felt that was my choice.

I didn’t know it was expected to pay something.

She gave me a stern look and said, everyone pays something. I could do a $1 every payday. “We have a dept goal.”

I didn’t budge.

Those who have are expected to take care of the have nots.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 8, 2018

Several years later, I started making one-time donations to United Way charities of my choice and the employee emergency fund. I gave because I wanted to do so, and I wasn’t forced or guilt-ridden.

While doing observation hours for a Head Start class, I learned many parents visited the local food pantry in a nearby church. After my assignment was over, I came back and volunteered a few days at the pantry. Some of the kids and parents recognized me and smiled at me.

I think that experience still means more than all the clothing I ever bought.

readingrules12 and Backroads like this.
  3. emily393

emily393 New Member

Jul 2, 2018

Fisher-price toys are good as educational toys as they help in keeping the kids entertained as well as it also makes them more creative and learn new things too.

4. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jul 2, 2018

The science teachers at my school are known for being the rebellious ones. We're not actually supposed to provide supplies or snacks or stuff for students. But we do it anyways. I have a plastic storage container I keep in the prep room. I've got some granola bars, chocolates, feminine products, first aid/emergency supplies, some drinks stuff like that. All of the science teachers at my school have stashes of various supplies so if a student is in need and they come to one of us we can usually get them what they need.

readingrules12 likes this.
  5. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Jul 2, 2018

I have bought everything on the list, and then some. I paid for and drove a student of mine to NYC for acting school auditions--his parents wouldn't, but gave me permission to do so. He is a professional now, so it was money well spent. I also had one of my students live with me for six months. Her home was foreclosed and she and her family were homeless. Her parents were moving to Ohio to live with family, but she didn't want to leave for the last six months of her senior year. We did all the necessary legal paperwork, and they provided me a stipend to help pay for food, and covered college applications and such, but she was essentially my daughter for six months. Again, she is a great success and doing well, and I am proud to have been able to do it.

TnKinder, readingrules12 and blazer like this.