You know that person at work....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Canadian Gal, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

That annoys you? That you really don't want to be around? Who does things in ways that you simply cannot understand? Who doesn't seem as focused, or productive or who just doesn't make sense to you?

So you ignore them? You pretend they aren't there even when they are standing right in front of you? You don't answer when they say hello, or ask you how your weekend was? You whisper in the ear of other people when they are in the room, rather than speaking out loud?

Have you ever stopped to think how that person feels? Or even better, why they are the way they are?

Maybe they are socially awkward. Maybe they have ADHSD, or maybe they have another learning disability. Maybe they have an anxiety disorder or depression. Maybe they have never really fit in. Maybe they were teased as a kid. Maybe they have an eating disorder they are desperately trying to hide.

So maybe they don't make sense to you, maybe they do annoy you. Maybe you don't want to be around them. But think for a second, about how your actions make that person feel. You don't have to be their best friend, you don't have to go out with them on weekends, or invite them over for coffee, but maybe, just maybe, being nice and polite at work could make a difference.

Not to mention the fact that if you change schools or there are major changes in your staff, you could just as easily become the person who is ignored.

I say this because a former colleague of mine, who I wasn't particularily fond of, recently committed suicide, and it has made me reflect on the times I wasn't as polite to her as I could be. I never ignored her like some people did, but I wonder if maybe being a little bit nicer, or sending the occasional email since I left could have made a difference, just knowing that there was someone out there.

So this fall, I think we should all make the extra effort to be nice to someone we don't necessarily "get". Someone who maybe does annoy us, but really, would any of us be teachers if we couldn't be nice to people who annoyed us? Just because, we don't always know what's going on with the people around us. They could have problems which make it difficult for them to relate to other people, but that doesn't make them bad people.

If we had a student with these problems, we would do everything we could to help them. We may not be able to do the same with a coworker, but sometimes a smile and small conversation can make all the difference in the world, to someone who feels that they don't quite belong.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

Thank you for posting this. I will keep these things in mind this coming year. Maybe I can make a positive impact on someone's life...or at least not a negative one.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 23, 2009

Very well said CG!

:clap:

5. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

Thank you for the reminder.

6. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

From those of us who you just described- THANK YOU!!!!
    People think we don't notice, but we do.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 23, 2009

Thank you for the reminder.

I tend to forget about those on my campus who are single. I used to be a lot better about inviitng the singles to my home for dinner. I'm going to tr to do better this year.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

Thank you for opening my eyes to the other side of this situation. We have about three of these teachers at our school and I know they just really want to be accepted. We all deserve kindness and respect.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 23, 2009

I have gone into the school year trying to be very positive and that includes complimenting my aides and at least one person from another class on a daily basis (last year we didn't receive any type of positive reinforcement from my principal last year and the morale was awful in my school). I do know we have one aide in my school that is turning his teacher's class upside down and the "talk" about him has begun. I will now remember to say something positive to him before I discuss anything inappropriate I observe him do with a student (it's school policy that I have to talk to him before informing admin...).

10. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

I can be a negative nancy sometimes. Thank you for posting this! It made me think about how I can affect the way things run in my school. I'll remember this. Thank you.

11. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

I second that!

12. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 24, 2009

I always try to be nice to everyone, no matter what. I always remember my 10th grade english teacher asking us the question, Is it easier to hate or love? I was the only one that said hate. It takes more effort to love and put differences aside, but worth it more in the end!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2009

Thanks, CG--I really needed to read your message. There are a couple of teachers at school that I'm often not very patient with; I need to try much harder this year.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 24, 2009

Thanks, and hugs to you, Canadian Gal.

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2009

Thanks for posting this, CG.

16. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

I am sorry about your former colleague. Thank you for the reminders that we don't usually know the full story behind the person, and that one person can make a positive difference by being thoughtful towards others.

17. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

I'm often too negative as well but your message reminded me of something I did right. Last summer at a conference I befriended one of those "interesting" teachers. She was definitely socially awkward and I'd have rather hung out with the cool crowd (amazing how you could tell who was cool even amongst strangers - that's another thread though isn't it?) but I figured we were all strangers and she deserved to have a good time too. I need to remember that more often. thanks!

18. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

Aug 24, 2009

I appreciate you sharing this. I definitely need this to remind me of how to treat others.

19. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 24, 2009

Great post... :)