You Can't Please Everyone!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Nov 18, 2013.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Nov 18, 2013

As a first year administrator, I've come to terms with the fact that no matter how hard I work, I'll never be able to please 100% of my staff.

I had to have a difficult conversation with a teacher recently. I ended the conversation with the following sentences: "We have to do what's best for our kids. Are you asking me to do what's easier for YOU? Keep in mind that what's most convenient for US isn't always in the best interest of our students!"

As per usual, I was very calm and professional. I think I got my point across, though.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2013

That stinks... but way to stay professional...

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Aficionado

Nov 18, 2013

good for you staying professional.

But as a first year administrator, please keep in mind that just because it is better for a child, doesn't mean it is reasonable to request of a teacher. Teachers are people too and deserve consideration.

For instance, I knew a student that claimed he needed one-on-one tutoring every day in order to keep up with information. He said that he got too distracted during class and wanted to have his History teacher teach him before school, alone, so he could have a jumpstart on the material. A first year administrator in the school promised the student and parent that his teacher would devote her prep time before school to him every day. The admin said the same thing you did - we need to do what is best for the child, not what is easiest for the teacher.

That was incredibly disrespectful towards the teacher.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

Nov 18, 2013

I have to be certain to closely follow the Master Agreement. Our teachers' union is incredibly vocal and quite strong--so as administrators, we have to be certain that we don't request anything unreasonable.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 18, 2013

That's why I could never be an administrator-I'm too much of a people pleaser!

7. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 18, 2013

Sounds like you're doing a great job! :)

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2013

It sounds like you've caught on quickly to the amazing balancing act administrators must do. The more leadership classes I take, the more I realize that I do not want to be an actual principal. You folks have it rough!

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 18, 2013

My hat's off to you as well, I could never make it as an administrator-I'd end up on the news! ;)

The fact that you can't please everyone is the first real lesson I learned in teaching-I think it's important to realize that.

10. GemStone

GemStone Cohort

Nov 18, 2013

"The best interest of the student" can be an overused phrase for justifying a myriad of requests. I'm not saying that you, personally, are throwing it around. However, sometimes the phrase is even uttered in situations irrelevant to the students.

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2013

I agree that what you said was profesional and I'm totally not knocking your roll as VP, but can I just remind you that you were a teacher before you were the boss. Please keep in mind your experiences as a teacher and your new roll as an admin.

12. a2z

a2z Phenom

Nov 18, 2013

Yeah, but so can "unreasonable" when someone doesn't want to do something.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

Nov 18, 2013

Wholeheartedly agreed! :)

This particular person was trying to get away with a task she knew she was responsible for (related to RtI). Her defense was, "Do you know how time consuming progress monitoring is?" Thankfully, I taught the Tier III kids during RtI, so my answer was YES!

However, as you all know--if we don't progress monitor our intensive kids, we'll never know whether or not they're making growth and responding to the services we're providing. The results of the progress monitoring scores can be used when referring a child to the Student Study Team or when exiting a student from Tier III intervention.

I guess I could've added these details to my original post, but I didn't want to include too much info.

14. interpreterchap

interpreterchap New Member

Nov 19, 2013

you handled it well...and you are right its really hard to please everyone especially when they dont know how to appreciate.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2013

This is why all administrators should come from some honest teaching stock. You have the empathy of being in the trenches, and you know why it's important for teachers to be there actively. You handled it well, and you handled it like a seasoned teacher who deserves to be guiding other teachers.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2013

You handled it with professionalism and how I wish more admins would handle situations like this.