You can't pass the class if you don't do any work...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Sshintaku, Apr 20, 2010.

1. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Apr 28, 2010

I am also amazed at how many students will have the nerve to ask me for extra credit 3 days before the end of the term/semester. I figure I offer plenty of opportunities for extra credit during the year, and they didn't take those opportunities so they are out of luck. They just don't like my EC because they are "hard" logic type assignments. It galls me that they expect easy word searches for about 50 points of EC when they did no work during the year.

Also a favorite: "I know it's the end of the quarter, but can I turn in this that was due 9 weeks ago and get some points for it?" Ummm..NO!

2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

I'm accepting work even from last quarter until May 21st. At this point, I'm begging students individually to hand in enough for me to pass them. Thankfully, many of them are taking me up on this offer and are putting in a sincere effort. They pale in comparison to those who have already finished all of the coursework a month early, but I'll take them!

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 28, 2010

LOL - I love that answer! It really is that simple - do the work when it's due and there's a good chance you'll pass. :thumb:

During my undergrad years, I worked in the Econ/Finance office for my work study. The secretary had a sign hanging by the door for everyone to see when they came in...

"Lack of planning on your part does not make it an emergency on my part."

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

Or, as my father always said: "Never forget the 7 P's. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Pi** Poor Performance".

5. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 28, 2010

This exact quote is on the laminating machine at my school.

6. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Apr 28, 2010

Middle school kids are "socially" promoted if they hit 16. translation- the middle school does not have student parking.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 28, 2010

What? I have to actually do WORK to pass a class? What is this AP American History?

8. MaestraEspanola

MaestraEspanola New Member

May 4, 2010

I'm glad I'm not alone in this, even though I'm sorry others are having the same problems. I have been feeling so frustrated lately myself as a Spanish teacher. I also teach freshman, and I rarely leave my work feeling happy with my students. The majority just do not care and will admit to me that their other classes come first because Spanish is an elective. Many have dug themselves in such a hole that there's no way they will pass my class, and it's all due to not turning in work. I'm debating how to handle this situation next year; if I should just make my class all test/quiz/project based in-class, but then I feel that doesn't teach them responsibility or individual ownership. I'm teaching Spanish 2 and 3 next year, so I'm hoping things will be different, but I don't know.
    It's only my second year of teaching,and I'm feeling frustrated already with the attitude and laziness of these kids! How do you deal with it?

9. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

May 4, 2010

I have a friend who is a Spanish teacher, and he says the difference between Span 1 and the upper levels is a HUGE difference. Maybe next year will be better for you.

My kids also have a big "homework problem." My solution is that I give homework once or twice a week (usually pass out on Monday, collect on Friday). This way, if they don't do homework it doesn't automatically dig their grave, but it will substantially lower their grade (IE. you can't get an A by just doing in-class things.)

10. MaestraEspanola

MaestraEspanola New Member

May 4, 2010

That's some uplifting news; thanks!

I've thought about doing the giving out homework on Monday and having it due Friday next year. I think that might help.

Thanks!

11. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

May 5, 2010

I give HW every day (three days a week - block schedule) and eash week's HW is due in a packet (stapled and in order!) on the day of the test every week. I just started this last year, and it's helped, especially since kids are so busy some days that they don't have time to do the HW that night, but can get it done the next night. Of course, if they don't get it done that night, they miss out on many of the nuances of the good discussion and corrections the next day, but that was their choice. It's been working out well so far, though I honestly have to consider that some copying may be being done due to the long time between assigning the work and the work being due. I figure if the test grades are bad but the HW is perfectly done, I'll have a long discussion with that particular student (smile!)

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 20, 2010

GREAT NEWS UPDATE!

Two of my students have hunkered down and gone from a zero to passing my class in a matter of days! I've been able to call my other stragglers / slackers to point to their good example. It's working! I've also gotten permission to hold my graduation list until a week from tomorrow, giving more time for some last ditch effort.

THEY'RE WORKING!!!!

13. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

May 20, 2010

:lol:

14. Allysundrop

Allysundrop Rookie

May 20, 2010

I have the same problem....about 7 out of my 24 honors students are failing my class. That's my honors class!! Just imagine my regular classes....We aren't really supposed to give homework so the majority of my grades are just classwork. Often, we do it together as a class!!

I finally put my foot down this semester and said "no makeup work" and I'm trying to stick to it, but I'm so afraid that I won't be "allowed" to fail so many students. I think I will go insane if I have to grade a ton of makeup work on top of all of the other end of the year exams. It's my first year! I just can't see letting the student make up the work when they sat in class and ignored me the whole time.

Next year, it has to be better!

15. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 21, 2010

This is a variation on the familiar line, "I don't fail students, they fail themselves [by not doing the work]."

16. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 22, 2010

To add to the last comment.....

I had a student last year who had 2 of her buddies fail the class while she got a B. She came to thank me for "giving her the B."

I stopped her mid sentence. "Hold up _____. I didn't GIVE you anything. You earned it."

And she didn't earn it by being really great at math, she earned it by working her butt off to get it.

It is a conversation I hope to never forget as it gave me a lot of insight into what they see.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 10, 2010

The deadline for past due assignments for my class is 3pm today. The number of phone calls I've had in the past 24 hours is overwhelming! So many of my failing students and their parents want to know how much more they have to do. I'm exhausted!

18. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 11, 2010

Ah, I feel your pain! All of you! I tell the kids (and state it in the parent letter) at the beginning of the year that:

1. I don't give extra credit assignments; most of the time the kids that want extra credit are the ones who can't get the work done in the first place so why give them more work.

2. I usually give a few extra credit point questions on tests/quizzes.

3. Late homework is an automatic 60%. Not handed in at all is a 0. I do give homework passes once every six weeks and an extra one for Christmas. The pass allows them to hand one HW assignment in one day late without penalty. More than one day - it is a 60% HW pass or not.

4. Late projects/major writing assignments lose a grade a day - no passes accepted.

I teach at a middle school and the policy is if the student has an F in two or more core subjects, they are "placed" in 9th grade - not promoted. It is rare, if ever, that an 8th grader is held back.

It is frustrating.

19. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 11, 2010

We recently got notified by our district about failing seniors. Essentially, that we have no right to keep them from graduating after they have put in 12 years of working toward this moment.

20. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2010

Um...wow.

I failed two, but they had both pretty much quit coming to school.