Yipee!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ruby731, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I got a job teaching the grade I love, and was really excited that I got to see my classroom for the first time on Friday. After the initial high wore off that this was MY classroom I started to think about setting everything up. I'm a new teacher, so I have A LOT to get. Now I'm sure that everyone has heard this a million times but I'll say it again. Try your local thrift store! I could believe how much a got for about $50. A really nice, upholstered, thick cushioned chair for my read alouds was only $3.99- no typo. I got nice sheets to put over the old blinds for 2.99, even office supplies among other things. I shopped at an "Arc" thrift store which supports people with develomental disabilities which is nice to know that your money is "doing something productive". Anyway, just wanted to share that with everyone. Next time you shop for school stuff don't forget about the thrift shops. Helping you not go broke, getting stuff for you classr, and helping the community- everyone wins. :)

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2007

Good deal! I think you did good. I haven't tried one yet and I still need a bar stool chair to rest against while teaching.......ummm, maybe I will go to one tomorrow.......

4. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 12, 2007

Great idea! That's on my list of "to-dos" this week as I set up my first classroom too.

5. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Congrats on your new job and classroom! I agree that thrift stores are a great place to get great deals. But a word of warning - check with your school to see what the fire codes are when bringing in furniture. In my area we can only bring in "fire resistant" fabrics, which are hard to find on most furniture. A couple of years ago they made all of us move out our comfy furniture because of that....one teacher tried to sneak hers back in & they took it. I would hate for you to be disappointed later.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

I love, love, love thrift stores! I have gotten most of my classroom library from them!

7. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Yard sales also rock! I just got 2 wire standing book displays for $4 plus many books anywhere from a nickel to a quarter...about 30 titles that amazingly, I don't already have including chapter books and several hardback books. Plus, I found several games to use for educational purposes...2 scrabble sets for $1.50, Quadominos(sp?) so students can practice adding 4 digits, and a Jenga set for a $1, our new math program suggested getting it. I love a good deal!