Yikes! Ordering supplies for the first time!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by JerseyEnglish, Jul 4, 2007.

1. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

Hi Everyone!

I hope you all enjoyed the holiday! I know this may seem really simple to some of you, but I am in the need of some advice. I am a first year teacher and I will be teaching 12th Grade English. I am in the process of ordering my classroom supplies. I have a stapler, tape, and chalk already provided for me. Any advice on what I should choose for my classroom and students?

Thanks!:)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2007

Are you paying for these supplies on your own or is this order going through the school? Your lists will probably be very different depending on who's paying for it.

Things I would probably buy or order through the school are:

A variety of colored pens for grading. I like purple and green instead of red.
    Dry erase markers if necessary
    Loose leaf paper
    Plenty of 3-ring binders. I file using binders instead of my filing cabinet. It's much easier for me this way.
    Digital clock with timer
    Scissors for me
    Packing tape for hanging posters
    Dictionaries/lexicons
    Kleenex and hand sanitizer (I offer extra credit to students who bring this in)
    Art supplies (crayons, markers, glitter, glue, etc.)
    Stretchy book covers, index cards, dry erase markers, pencils for students to purchase from me at cost
    Calculator with a large display
    Stackable desk trays
    Plastic totes with lids in a variety of sizes for storing extra supplies
    Cough drops, Excedrin, tampons, gum, $10 in quarters, and a box of Nutrigrain bars
    Case of bottled water
    3-hole punch
    Binder clips in a variety of sizes and large butterfly clips
    Fabric to cover my bulletin board and to make a curtain for the door window

4. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for replying Cassie!

I am ordering from the school's catalog right now. I ordering through the catalog. Some of the other supplies I will buy on my own.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 5, 2007

Here's what I had when I taught 12th grade English . . . stapler, tape, tote bag, teacher's guide (two books), chalk & holder, pencil, grade book, plan book, agenda book, and a file crate. I was a "floater" and didn't have my own classroom. I felt very homeless. LOL

I was SOOO glad to get my own classroom . . .finally!

I like buying folders and spiral notebooks at Wal-Mart for 10 cents. I have a matching folder and notebook for each class, each meeting I attend regularly, and one for everything else. It helps keep me organized for meetings & classes.

I also like storing my art supplies in the plastic storage containers with drawers. I also keep extra pencils, paper, band-aids, and cough drops in those drawers. The older kids are better at helping themselves than the younger kids are.

We also use a lot of highliters, white out, and red & black ink pens when writing . . . or revising and editing, actually.

Back when I had my chalk board, I had a bucket and large car-washing sponge that I used to clean my board every afternoon. I'm allergic to the dust from chalk, so I kept my board extra clean.

I'm big on containers and organizers. One of my biggest time-savers is a basket by the door where kids drop their tardy notes. I also have a sign-in sheet right outside the door where kids sign in when they're late. It keeps them from interrupting class when they're tardy. I use lots of file trays for turning in work and putting work when I've graded it. One of my biggest hits last year was a laundry basket where I tossed stuff that they left behind . . . and there was always something left. That was also near the door so if they forgot something they didn't have to interrupt me to come in and look through the basket.

We're not allowed to cover our door windows, but I do love fabric for my bulletin boards . . . although some school fire codes prohibit fabric or paper covered boards.

Oh, I also like to keep a bottle of hand lotion nearby. All those papers and hand sanitizer will really take the moisture out of your hands!

6. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

that laundry basket idea sounds great. you never know what to do with those extra sweatshirts or random paperback books. And I like having the tardy note thing at the door too. It does always take a minute to stop class, collect the note, and continue going.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 6, 2007

good idea with the laundry basket. I'm going to steal that idea!

Get lots of tape when you can get it cheap. Students LOVE tape. Don't know what it is. (Other option is to protect it with your life. I've dealt with tape with both ways.

The list from pp is pretty good. If you don't already have a classroom library that's something you'll need. (buy used books if its your money)

8. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

Packing tape doesn't work on the walls in our school, but sticky tac does!! I buy it at Wal-Mart and it doesn't damage the walls in any way!

As for pencils, I tried keeping them on hand. I traded valuables for pencils (watch, quarter) but I still came up short. A friend of mine suggested buying silk flowers ( I match the seaason) and using floral tape to tape the flower to the pencil. At first the students (freshman & sophomores) roll their eyes and avoid using them. I make it clear to my students that it is not the job of their classmates to provide them with supplies, so if they forget their own,I have provided some for them. Of course, after a couple of weeks, they need a pencil and they start using mine. I don't mind at all, and they always end up back in the cup on my desk, which doubles as a decoration. I think the kids end up enjoying them too. Sometimes, kids have walked out with one, but they return it because the flower is a dead give-away as to who it belongs to. Easy and inexpensive and it works!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2007

You order this with SCHOOL money??? Tampons?

10. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Jul 8, 2007

Thanks for all of your advice!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2007

There was an "or" in my statement. I said, "Things I would probably buy or order through the school are:"

I guess I should have specified that some items I would purchase and some I would order through the school, but I didn't think that was necessary.

Obviously, I'd expect the school to purchase school supplies and office supplies, whereas I would purchase personal items.

I was just trying to make a comprehensive list for the original poster.

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2007

I tried the flowers on pens/pencils idea. Big problem with that, they nearly started a fire, see my students would use those over their own, and then dismantle them. They were then stuck behind the heater in my room. When I found them 3 or 4 weeks later they were very hot....they could have caused a fire! So I put them out of reach and that was the end of that. This year, free pencils, but only golf pencils, need an eraser, well bring your own pencil!

I can afford several gross of golf pencils, but I cannot waste time on trading or selling pencils. I timed it, I was wasting nearly 15 min every day on pencils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!