Yelled at by a customer today. :(

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 24, 2011.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 25, 2011

I'm sorry that happened to you. Hope you quickly forget about it, and have a better day!

2. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 25, 2011

I agree that it is not worth losing sleep over.

3. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 25, 2011

Don't worry about it. Sometimes, people take things the wrong way even if you didn't mean to.

As others mentioned, she could have been having a bad day and took it the wrong way. I have been in situations in which I took things the wrong way especially if I was having a bad day.

Also, to not give her an excuse, she may be used to people sometimes making snide comments under the guise of being in a happy tone- being passive aggressive (no way am I indicating that you were doing this - you are a really nice person based on your posts/profile). It can make a person extra sensitive. Again, I know this from first-hand experience.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2011

I worked in hospitality all through college and little beyond. Customer service is not always fun because you get those customers who are just grouchy (in my case it was guests) and it's not you, it's just them.

Sorry that happened...Hugs....

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 25, 2011

I started working for a bank when I was 18 and spent all five of my college years there. During that time, I definitely had my share of rude customers.

One customer, in particular, used to make me so nervous. She was a local business owner and would come in with huge amounts of unrolled coins and dollar bills. Anyway, one day she came in with her daugher and mumbled to her, "Gosh, this guy is always soooooo slow." They both proceeded to laugh. I am sure my face turned red and my hands started shaking as I was counting her deposit.

Anyway, the next day, she was walking toward my teller window and I immediately closed my window and said, "Sorry...I'm closed right now." I told my boss what happened and she said I didn't have to wait on this lady anymore (provided other tellers were available).

I will never forget that awful lady. She was so unruly that whenenever we (tellers) saw her walk in, we'd all try to take our 10-minute break!

6. Boopers

Boopers Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

There was a time when I worked as a retail cashier for a Sporting Goods store. I was checking out a customer who was buying a lot of stuff. This lady came next in line after the customer I was busy checking out and started putting all of her stuff on my checkout lane. I told her "ma'am if you would like to checkout with less wait the next cashier over will be happy to help you." I was polite and trying to save her time from waiting in a long line. She got really snippy with me and said "I just think it's really rude that you don't want to help me!!"

All I could think of was uhh isn't that what I'm doing?!

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 25, 2011

I'm working customer support right now and honestly love my job more than I can say. It's fantastic. We have feedback surveys that get sent out after we work with clients, and I've held a solid 95% since starting. This past week, I really wanted to hit 96%. I surprised and delighted the heck out of my customers. I went the extra mile. And this morning, I hit 96%!!! I wrote dh and celebrated-for a whole five minutes. Almost immediately after getting that wonderful golden 96%, I got 1 bad feedback that put me back down to 95%. The client had asked I re-send them their order receipt, which I did gladly. I even wrote and said if they had any issues at all open or printing the receipt to let me know and I would re-send in a different format. Their feedback? 'Bad and unsatisfied. Where's the fax machine and how do I copy this?'

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? It didn't even make any SENSE! I could see if I screwed up or didn't send the right file. But 'Where's the fax machine?'?!?!? We don't even deal in faxes!

Now I have to get a whopping 17 more positive feedbacks to make up for this one bad feedback before I can get to 96% again. And most people don't fill out their surveys, so that will take a long time.

So I know how you feel, DP. It's a day for cranky, confusing people.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

Some people are just cranky no matter what and no matter what you do, they'll never be satisfied.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2011

Ugh. I was a teller for a little while in college. I hated, hated, hated that job. On my second day, my trainer left me alone for 5 minutes to go test her blood sugar. In those 5 minutes, I had a customer come in with a large deposit. When I explained that it would have a hold placed on it, he went ballistic on me - literally yelling - that HE didn't have holds put on his account (well, he was right - but I didn't know at the time that there were different levels or where to find them in the computer) and that I was incompetent, stupid, needed to learn how to read, yadda yadda. He had me in tears. My manager came over and tried to explain that I was new and still in training and didn't know all of the codes yet... and he just kept yelling at her that I shouldn't be working there if I was so stupid I couldn't read a computer screen.

Surprisingly, I had the sudden urge to use the restroom every time he walked in after that.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2011

During HS and part of college I worked in a Pizzeria (one of the top ten on Long Island at that time as per Newsday).
    We had this little old lady who would come in for a slice
    As you know by the slice usually has to be reheated. Well. this little old lady had to have her slice reheated to the max. "Make sure it is HOT" she would say to the point of being a pain. All the guys would talk about her and how she just had to have a HOT slice. Well, one day I had just taken a pizza out of the oven cut it up and put it on the warming shelf a split second before she came in, I told her that it was fresh and very hot. I then went about doing other "Pizza boy" work and as the lady started to leave she told me with a hurt smile "I didn't believe you when you said it was hot and I burnt the roof of my mouth" I kind of had an inner glow that I was right but knowing she had a "Pizza Palate" did not let me celebrate.

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2011

I hate surveys because as a teacher I fill them out just like I taught I "grade" them and I was a hard "A" but I feel most people are a "B" to "B+" an "A" is reserved the "extra mile" service. A lot of times Good service is all I wanted BUT with some companies anything less than an "A" is failure.
    We have "grade inflation" everywhere.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 26, 2011

I hated retail! The best thing I ever did was QUIT! I worked at a party store for the longest time. And, even in the happiest environments, people were rude. I don't miss it.

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

Aww, sorry that happened. There's one in every crowd, though!

Webmistress, I still have nightmares where I am in the stock room of the shoe store and can't find the shoe I need. Sometimes the room turns labyrinthine and I get lost for so long in there I'm just terrified to come out because the customer will be furious. Good golly.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

Aww, sorry that happened. There's one in every crowd, though!

Webmistress, I still have nightmares where I am in the stock room of the shoe store and can't find the shoe I need. Sometimes the room turns labyrinthine and I get lost for so long in there I'm just terrified to come out because the customer will be furious. Good golly.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

The funny thing is, I still don't always fill out the surveys I get for other companies, even now that I know how important they are! I'm trying to get better at that. The problem with most surveys is that the customer isn't always 'grading' on the actual service-a lot of my feedback is on the product, of which I have no control. So I get to read about their disappointment that we don't have the feature they want. But I still love it! It's just a good challenge!

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

When we bought our Jetta we were pressured into giving them a 5 on a survey. They talked for a long time about how if I gave them a 4 then they would get in trouble. He was putting some serious pressure on me to give them a 5.

I was going to because they were fine but then the finance guy talked with us and he ****** me off by pressuring us to get an extended warranty. We said no 4 times and he wouldn't stop, so I gave them a 3.

17. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jul 27, 2011

I work in retail and had a woman chew out my manager (saying we don't know what we are doing and how we are causing all sorts of problems, bad customer service, etc.) yesterday over her order, because we had a problem with the company. When she came in to pick it up later I was there and she couldn't stop staying how wonderful we all are and just how appreciated all the work we did. Her husband showed up at the counter about 2 minutes after her, looked me in the eye, and gave me a very meaningful thank you while using my first name. I got the feeling he told his wife she was acting crazy on the phone....