Yearbook fundraiser ideas?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by bonnjer, Aug 11, 2007.

1. bonnjer

bonnjer Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

As part of my desktop publishing class, I will be handling the yearbook. This is my first time to take on the yearbook publication, so I'm turning to everyone here for some ideas on fundraisers, both at school and away from school. I'll have about 25 students total that can work on it. What things have worked for you in the past? What has not worked so well? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Jeremy

3. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

When I was in high school, the big fund raiser for the yearbook was selling ads to local businesses to put in the book. Stuff like "Mom's Eats is Proud of the Graduates of 200X" with the company logo & such. Other than that, we didn't do any fund raisers.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

For my staff, 90% of the money comes from yearbook sales and ad sales. Does your book have "vanity" ads for seniors at the back of the book?

The remainder of our money comes from "Coronation" which is the big ceremony where we name "Most popular" and all that stuff for each grade level. It's a big formal event. If your school will allow it, you can also host a yearbook distribution party at the end of the year. For $5 the kids WHO PURCHASED THE BOOK can come met in the gym, have some popcorn and a soda and sign each other's books.

I've been teaching yearbook/journalism for years. PM me if you need anything. :D

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

We sold ads in yearbook, too, but some schools, like the one where I teach now, don't like that. (Personally I think it is nice for local businesses to have messages to the seniors) We also sold space for messages from home for senior parents to put in their baby pics, etc. It was a big deal in school, and you would be mad if your parents didnt put an ad in.

6. interart

interart Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Let's not forget old fashioned ideas like bake sales, art club making t-shirts to sell, car washes... they still work.

7. Azula Fleur

Azula Fleur Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Free Dress Day for $3
    Crazy Hair Day
    Wacky Hat Day
    Rainbow Day
    Elemental Dress up Day
    Once upon a time...Dress up Day
    Bake Sale
    Music/Dance Concert
    Fun Run

8. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Candygrams - make up a "card" that can be easily photocopied on colored paper, attach candy (chocolate bars, candy canes), sell for $1 (or whatever to make a profit) and students can send them to friends. Great for holidays.

9. danas1114

danas1114 New Member

Aug 27, 2007

While in high school, I actually was the editor in chief of the yearbook. We did the business ads and personal ads, which helped with the bulk of the price. I am not sure if you get any hard copy of pictures anymore, but we would sell the color copies of the pictures at the end of the year which would always bring in a few hundred dollars.

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2007

at our private school...parents can purchase "space" to congratulate their child...price varies according to size of the ad (l/4 page; l/2 page or full page)...parents also submit photos.

I do one for my son every year.