Year long plan

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by sumnerfan, Jul 3, 2008.

1. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

I know I should have this figured out already but I'm going from a 90 minute half year schedule to a 50 minutes year long schedule. I'm trying to decide how long things I have never taught before will take and I'm having a hard time. How do you know how much time to allot for different units of study?

Thanks.

3. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 3, 2008

I'd first check to see if there is a curriculum map, pacing guide, or another teacher you could ask. If there is not, try this:

Get a copy of your state standards and count them. Reasonably, half of them should be done first semester and half of them second semester.

Find out your exam schedule for first and second semester. Count the number of instructional days you have each semester prior to the exam.
    Deduct 5 days from the total- absences, review days, assemblies, wiggle room in case something takes longer

That should give you a decent estimate of how many instructional days you will have. Then divide that number by the number of standards for the semester. That will give you a guestimate. Then, as you look at your standards, you should be able to determine if one would take longer than another and adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps!

4. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

Thanks. That makes sense. When I was trying to do it I was focusing on the pieces of literature instead of the standards.