www.csetmath.com...yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Livie78, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Livie78

Livie78 Rookie

Oct 5, 2006

Has anyone used this site? It's $20 per math subtest...just want to make sure it's worth it? So, if anyone has heard or tried it, please let me know.

Thanks a ton!
    Olivia

3. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Oct 12, 2006

I'd like to know, too. I did notice they are online, and I'd prefer a regular (hardcopy) bound book.

4. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Oct 13, 2006

As requested, I had a dekko at the thinkwell.com site, and honestly, I failed to see why their methodolgy might be superior to a regular lucidly written textbook...after all, their own content / materials seem fairly humdrum and orthodox. Nothing extraordinary to render concepts easier to grasp: it's just same stuff as a book, only on a screen!

But that's MY opinion...

Jay.

http://csetmathguru.weebly.com/

PS. Better sites are Paul's Notes and PurpleMath.

5. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Oct 13, 2006

Jay,

Thank you for answering my private email to you. I really enjoy the Thinkwell programs (www.thinkwell.com). It's like attending class, but at your own pace. The instructor on video does a very good job of explaining each concept. He often even manages to add some humor. The online class notes, sample exercises, and quizzes reinforce that small bit just learned. Then it's on to the next video and reinforcement. Tests cover large chunks of knowledge, and online tools such as a graphing calculator are available. An online status charts one's progress through the course. It's actually a lot of fun; I'm really enjoying the program. I was just wondering if, besides Number Theory, there were topics that are on Math Subtest I that are not covered by Thinkwell's College Algebra and Pre-Calculus courses. I bought the textbook you recommended to fill in any gaps and as a second way of learning the same material.

This thread asks about something else. There are online books written by a former CSET Math prep teacher. There are two books for each of the first two subsets. One has a practice exam covering each CSET topic on the subtest and includes detailed, step-by-step solutions. The other is geared specifically for answering the constructed response questions. At $20 per online book-- well, the person who started this thread and I were wondering if it's worth it or not. The site is www.csetmath.com.

My feeling is that after doing all the "normal" studying and preparing, the online guides would be a good follow-up to gauge how well you studied, boost confidence, and point out any gaps in knowledge. I think they would be good as a supplement for someone like me who hasn't had a college math class since 1978. For a math major or recent graduate, they might be all that are needed.

6. Teacher2007

Teacher2007 Rookie

Dec 3, 2006

I bought the CSET math subtest 1. I was able to download it quickly and print. It's basically a practice test with thoroughly explained answers. It was nice to get me started with studying, but the level of difficulty was way below what was presented on the actual CSET exam.

Has anyone tried CA teaching solutions?

7. harish_117

harish_117 New Member

Jan 13, 2007

is their any mental retadartion test

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2007

Are you in need of one?

9. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jan 13, 2007

I've heard nothing but bad things about CA Teaching Solutions--that basically the whole outfit is a scam. You could try googling for research.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2007

One won't find much about Web sites like that that isn't by Web sites like that: seems the negative comments tend to disappear abruptly. Hmmmmm....

11. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jan 14, 2007

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 14, 2007

Ah: one pocket into which the threat of lawsuit hasn't intruded, yet, and another pocket deep enough and well enough lawyered not to care.

It seems silly to regard criticism as a spur to sue rather than as impulse to improve one's product, but, golly, not everyone seems to see things that way...

In any case, one moral of the story is that an absence of negative assessment on the Internet doesn't necessarily mean that there's nothing wrong.