WV Teachers Schedule Statewide Strike

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GemStone, Feb 18, 2018.

1. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Feb 18, 2018

WV teachers and state public workers will strike on Thursday and Friday, their first state-wide strike in 30 years. The issues are pay, in the bottom ten nationally, and crippling and increasing insurance costs. They have tried for weeks to work with the state legislature to no avail.

The strike could extend beyond those two days, leaving schools and state public services shuttered even longer.

What do you think of such a strike?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 18, 2018

While I agree that it is well within their constitutional right to stage a peaceful protest, teacher strikes have a highly negative impact on students’ educations. With that said, since they only plan to strike for two days and not weeks on end, I believe this is acceptable. I say this because some teachers, and in particular teachers in Right-to-Work states, are severely underpaid and have to pay a significant portion of their salaries to their health insurance and pensions, which leaves them with very little after said deductions.

These teachers NEED better legal representation and stronger unions. It’s ridiculous how little they are paid. For example, I work at a private school in CA and receive a $5,000/year raise since I am the furthest on the salary schedule (Masters + Clear Credential + Extra Credits) and will max out at 100k in year 13. Some of these teachers max out at like 55k after 25+ years in service, which is absurd and, frankly, laughable. Sure, CA has astronomically high housing prices, but I can easily afford one now with my just my current teaching salary (55k) — not including my tutoring money (about half my teaching salary) — and I’m only in year 4!

Something needs to be done because teaching credential programs have fewer and fewer graduates year after year, which is causing huge shortages of teachers. Simply put, teachers need better compensation packages that are commensurate with their education levels, work experience, and skill sets.

GemStone likes this.
  4. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Feb 18, 2018

West Virginia only made the right to work law effective a few months ago. Already, they are facing even more unfair conditions than in the past.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 18, 2018

Wow, just one more way that legislatures stick it to teachers.

GemStone likes this.
  6. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Feb 18, 2018

Sad for WV. These strikes work best when teachers effectively communicate the issues to the public. If the voters view the teachers as lazy and greedy, it won't work.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 18, 2018

It’s funny, in the past you and I disagreed on several things, but I’m starting to realize that we have much more in common than I originally thought. :D

Tyler B. likes this.