Writting Prompt before interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JoanPD, Jul 13, 2018.

1. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Jul 13, 2018

I have an interview next week, and I know part of this interview is a writing prompt. I'm not sure how to prepare for it. I do know that grammar and spelling are my two weakest areas, always have been.

It's now been two years since I graduated, and I'm starting to feel discouraged.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2018

I am not sure what your question is here, but because you mentioned grammar .... this is definitely something you can improve. Do some searches for grammar basics. Read quality newspapers and journals to see good grammar in action. As for spelling, when my students are stuck I ask them to try to visualize the word, or to try spelling it three different ways in the hope that one way should look correct to them. A lot of reading is a good way to become better at spelling.
    What grade level/subject are you applying for?

4. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Jul 13, 2018

Thank you, I think my main question is how to prepare for a writing prompt, and/or interview. I have looked up grammar lessons before, and will continue to try to improve. I'm just worried it won't be good enough for the writing prompt for the interview.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2018

I would create your own prompt and just practice beforehand. I'm not sure that there is much else you can do. I would think that, the more you practice writing and proofreading, the better you will get at it.

6. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 13, 2018

The writing prompts that I've had to respond to usually fell into one of the following types:
    1) ask for your opinion on a topic, 2) ask for a description of how you would respond to a hypothetical situation or 3) ask for a description of a personal experience with a specific situation. I would develop and memorize a generic outline for each potential prompt that would greatly facilitate the writing process. Practice recalling the different outlines and writing your responses to hypothetical questions - then apply your editing skills to correct any grammatical or spelling errors. Better yet, have someone proofread your drafts to provide feedback.

You might even have the outlines available in your portfolio to use as a reference.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018