Writing is Hard!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by awp0718, Sep 18, 2007.

1. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

My kids are refusing to write outside of Writer's Workshop. The other classes all have a writing prompt each morning, but my kids are saying they can't read what is on the board. I know they can because they are reading to me during assessments, but they are refusing to. How can I get them to do stop being afraid of reading and writing!?

3. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

Wow... I can't imagine kids refusing to write... mine beg to have writing time. Some times if there is a prompt, they have a hard time getting started, but refusing? Last year in first grade I had to teach them to write to a prompt instead of always writing what they wanted in writer's workshop. I started with a little paper journal... they wrote the date and then I had them write only one sentence... maybe an answer to something easy like "what is your favorite ice cream"... they had to start with "My favorite ice cream is...." and finish the sentence. I'd call on 4-5 people to read their answers. All it takes is one to write a bit more and the next day several are writing more. It's kind of contagious. You might try something simple like that... then move to 2 sentences after a couple of weeks... then 3, etc...

4. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Sep 19, 2007

Great! Thanks, I'll try it this morning!