Writing in 2nd Grade

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by taraes1982, Feb 18, 2008.

1. taraes1982

taraes1982 Rookie

Feb 18, 2008

I teach 2nd grade and I was wondering what kinds of writing YOU do in 2nd grade? How To's, Fairytale rewrites, book reports, etc. Basically, what does your writing curriculum look like during the course of the year. In a nutshell.

Thanks!

:help:

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 18, 2008

I follow Writer's Workshop as closely as I can. Our district uses Step-Up to Writing as a suppliment, which is a wonderful resource. Mapping out our writing curriculum is based around our TIA (this is Northwest Arkansas), which is based around our frameworks. Currently my students are working on Expository writings.

Go to this website and click on 2nd grade under Language Arts. You will be able to open up our TIA document.

4. teacherdee

teacherdee Rookie

Feb 21, 2008

I follow Lucy Calkin's writers workshop. This kind of writing is easier for second graders because they are writing their own stories. I think writing fiction such as fairy tales can be a lot of fun for some of them but for most of them it is stressful because they are having to write about something they have no firsthand knowledge of. We write stories from our own lives and even the smallest story is a good one ("yesterday I broke my dad's coffee cup). I'm really impressed with her program. My second graders are writing 20-25 minutes every day and on days when we don't get to it, I get a lot of complaints :) Hope this helps!

One more thing....a lot of writing happens at other times in the day. Have them write observations in science and literature response during reading instruction. Book reviews can be fun, as well as a classroom newsletter!

5. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

Feb 22, 2008

I also follow the Lucy Calkin's Writers Workshop and love it. We do personal narratives, how-too books, all about books, fairy tales, descriptive essays, etc. I highly recommend the program.

6. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Feb 22, 2008

Writer's WS here too :) It's county wide, and while I like the program, the lessons we're given aren't the best.

I do recommend Teaching Reading Using Childen's Literature and Razzle Dazzle Writing. Those books have helped me a ton...

We're doing All About Books now :)

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2008

My daughter's English this year has had her write book reports, how to instructions, a friendly letter, game instructions, and this week she will finish up a short story. There is always planning, drafting, revising, proofreading and publishing for each writing assignment.