writer's workshop

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by fun2teach, Sep 22, 2008.

1. fun2teach

fun2teach New Member

Sep 22, 2008

I'm feeling very confused with writer's workshop. How often do you have your students start a new piece? It seems like I am having my students start a new stories all the time. I feel like if they don't start a new piece, what are they doing for the rest of writers workshop? It seems if they add more or reread a piece from the day before they aren't busy and seem to be off task, and then they are writing anything! Please let me know what you do? How often are they starting new stories?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2008

After my mini lessons, I ask the kids to think about whether they will a)begin a new story, or b)work on a story that they have started. We talk about adding more details to stories etc. and thus they are constantly working on previously started stories. :)

4. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 24, 2008

We do about one writing piece a month, and other "quick writes" weekly for the other three weeks. I wish I could get it in daily - that would be ideal, but timing just doesn't seem to work for me.

5. tchnzfun

tchnzfun Rookie

Sep 24, 2008

We started writer's workshop a week ago, and the kids are still working on their first stories. I have one student who finished today. We have four pocket folders: plan, write, revise/edit, and publish. We do workshop everyday for about 30-40 minutes. I allow my students to look at other books or read books for inspiration when they are not writing. Also during our writer's workshop time they can write book reviews and recommendations. I try to pull different kids for mini lessons throughout their work time. So far it seems to be going well. It's my first year doing writer's workshop.

6. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 25, 2008

Do you just staple two two-pocket folders together - or make these some other way? It sounds like a great organizational tool, plus they really learn where they are in the writing process! (Is this 2nd grade?) :unsure: