Write the room

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Deeena, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 17, 2006

Does anyone here do Read or Write the Room in your class? How did you introduce this activity to your students?

3. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Sep 17, 2006

I actually would also love to hear how others use read the room. My students seem to be constantly off task.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2006

I've done read and write the room for a few years and it is always a favorite center and the students STAY ON TASK! They love to be able to walk around, too.

Start by gathering some fun "props." I have a bucket of them and the students may choose ONE to use. Most of them I got at the dollar store. In my bucket there are neon sunglasses, magic wands, batons, plastic claws (really used for digging in sand), and some other stuff I've forgotten. So the students get either a pair of glasses or a special kind of pointer. They also get a clipboard, piece of paper, and a pencil. All of these things are kept in the bucket.

First I model it. So I grab one of the props and the clipboard, paper, and pencil and, with the whole class watching, very dramatically start to look for words in the classroom that I know. (It really helps to have your classroom labeled and have a print-rich environment.) As I point to a word, I have them tell me what it is, and then I ceremoniously write it on my paper. Then I search for another word. I do this several times.

The first time (after I've modeled it) I give EVERYONE a turn all at once. I just use pieces of cardboard instead of real clipboards for this, since I don't have enough clipboards. Instead of the fun pointers (again, I don't have enough for the whole class at once) I use paint sticks. We spend several minutes looking for words and copying them down.

Once I open it up as a center, I model again the first several days. I also change some of the props out periodically to keep in fresh.

Another thing I learned is have the child write his or her name on the paper and CIRCLE it. They like to copy each others' names and then you can't tell whose paper it is later.

I haven't done this yet, but I thought about starting "read around the room" out this year with just searching for letters. I am planning to use paint sticks and put one letter of the alphabet on each one. They can choose a letter and look for it around the room.

5. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 17, 2006

Thanks Seven for the tips. That helps a lot! I can't wait to try it. :)

6. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Sep 18, 2006

Sevenplus,
    So do you use read the room and write the room as the same center? I've been using them seperately...maybe that is why it hasn't been working so well in my read the room center. They have nothing to do but walk around!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2006

Sevenplus, that sounds fanstastic! I would love to have that as a center, problem is my room is soooo teeny and tiny, all of my centers are close together. I'm afraid having students walk around too much might become a distraction. What do you think? I may do this when I have a community helper or a 6th grade student come in. Then they can watch my kids and keep them quiet. But, like I said, I have a tiny room. They cut my room in half to make it into a office for the reading first coach!!

8. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 18, 2006

Peachy - perhaps you could only allow 2 or 3 students in this center at a time. That way it won't be a huge distraction having a bunch of kids wandering around at one time. My room is pretty small, so I think I'm going to only open this center for 4 kids at a time.

9. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 18, 2006

I actually introduce "read the room" today, I took a small group around the room with me and they LOVED it, I pointed out all the labels they could "read" and the charts we have made so far and places where everybody's name was. We also went over how to handle the pointers (not whacking our friends with them :) ) and not interrupting other centers. Then they got to practice on their own. They loved it.

10. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2006

;) ;) Try using fly swatters and back scratchers for pointers!!!!! My kids love them. I bought colorful fly swatters from Dollar General at the end of August when they were on clearance. They had a pack of red, blue and green ones for like a dollar!!!! Also, The Dollar Store has wooden back scratchers with little hands on the ends that is perfect to use for a pointer. Just model and review the rules of using them appropriately and your children will be excited about reading the room.

11. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Habitué

Sep 19, 2006

That is so cute! I had in my plans this week to have the kids search around the room but I think I will put it off until I hit the dollar store!

VERY GOOD IDEA!!

12. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Sep 19, 2006

Love the idea! I also used "Read Around the Room" while student teacher, but not with the great props!

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2006

Yes. Actually, I call the center "read around the room," but it is really "write around the room." Just one center. Basically they record what they read.

14. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Sep 21, 2006

How do you ladies actually "label" the room? Do you just make up the words on your computer and post them around? Do you put them up all at once or introduce a few at a time then make the center? I love this idea but want to make sure I "do it right" :D

15. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2006

Well, I just switched classrooms this year, so my new room is not labeled yet. It's on my to-do list. I just type up a list of everything in the room (door, pencil sharpener, computers, easel, etc.) in a large font - I always use century gothic since the a's look like the children actually write them. I put all of the labels up at once. In my old classroom, they just stayed up for years so they were always there when the students first came in. I don't really have to introduce the labels because it is very clear what they are.

Besides the labels, though, there is a lot else that they read/record. Students' names are all over the room and they love to read those. They also read the word wall, morning message, calendar words, various charts, book titles, and anything else with words on it.

So you really don't need to do much prep for this center since there is probably already so many words in the room that they would not necessarily be able to read in another context, but they know what they say within the context of the classroom.

Hope that makes sense!

16. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Sep 22, 2006

Yes it does - thank you! I'll be adding this center to my list very soon - gotta get some cool pointers and such :D