Would You Try to Put Your Kids in Show Business?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 26, 2014

We all know the entertainment industry is a tough business. There's many downfalls & some people turn out OK, but of course others don't. The family trekking all over for auditions, one day you're 'in' & people want you, the next day, you can be a has-been, etc. You have to have a tough skin for numerous reasons. Child stars have it much rougher than those who started out as teens or older because they're no longer the cute kid from the (__) TV show & they have to be strong to realize no one may give them a role anymore.

Would you earnestly try to put your kids in show business? Do you know anyone who has?

I must have been way too young to remember this, but my mom said she tried to get me in a movie in which I'd play the baby of a top singer (I won't say the name). Needless to say, I didn't get the role. I don't know what else she tried to get me in. That might have been it.

If I had a baby, I really don't know. That's going down a very different path from a normal life. I think a lot of us could say, oh what's the harm to be on a little commercial or something, but if someone actually wants your child to audition for a show or even film, could you really turn that down or will the excitement of it all get to you?

3. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 26, 2014

Not for anything. Okay, amend that. If one of my kids had a burning passion for it, I'd try to talk him or her out of it. If that didn't work, I'd let them give it a shot with major, major misgivings. Any financial gain would go towards a college fund.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 26, 2014

I know a kid who did commercials when she was little but not after she was 5 or so. She ended up having quite a bit of money to put towards college. I have a cousin who does print work and theatre but he's only 10 I think so he just does it for fun right now. I don't know anyone who's been in movies but it seems like a lot of work for the kid and family.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2014

I wouldn't. It is a hard business and I would want my child to have an actual childhood. I have a cousin that is an actress. She's not even close to a household name, but I bet more than a few of you have seen her work. She became an actress as an adult though. She is quite a bit older than me and grew up 8 or so hours away. I've only seen her a few times in my life, and not at all since she started acting. (To my knowledge, she never did any acting as a child.) I do about some of the struggles she has had. It is not something I would voluntarily want to deal with.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2014

I tutor for a family whose kids have been in commercials and movies...their money is being saved for college. The kids are bright, happy and well rounded.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 26, 2014

It really depends on the kid and the parents. I have two friends who were successful child actors. It took a toll on their school lives, but they came out okay. One's parents were his managers and they may have pushed him a bit. The other begged to get a manager (the other friend's parents, although that's not how I know them) and had a lot of say in whether he went on auditions. Best thing I can say is that behind every sane child actor there MUST be sane, loving, balanced parents.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 26, 2014

NO

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 26, 2014

Not in a million years!

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 26, 2014

If this is parent's choice, I am suspect. If it is the child's longing, different answer, and I would need some solid convincing, but not impossible. An ocean between those two scenarios.

11. live

live Companion

Aug 26, 2014

Nope, I wouldn't try to push my kid into show business. If it's the dream of my child, then maybe, but not without also receiving a quality education. If it interferes with having options later in life, then no way.