Would you trade your summer off for more pay?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by UpperMidwest, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Apr 29, 2019

Ditto on the staggered breaks throughout the year! What is preventing this from occurring and becoming a reality for our schools? Seems like it would make much more sense and help prevent the "summer slide."

UpperMidwest likes this.
  2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 30, 2019

My school already is year-round, and I like it just fine. We do get longer breaks, and our students are able to retain their learning without a six-week gap.

Backroads likes this.
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Apr 30, 2019

No, absolutely not. I don’t want a year-round staggered year. I entered the teaching profession so that I can make great money AND have lots of time off at certain instances throughout the year.

I love having a 2.5-month summer as I have tons of time to go on vacations and actually enjoy myself. I love getting 1.5 weeks off for my Easter Break in April, which is a nice reprieve right before the summer. I love getting 1.5 weeks off for Thanksgiving followed by 2.5 weeks off for Christmas Break in the following months. I love getting 4-5 shortened weeks in concert with federal holidays so that my colleagues and I have three-day and four-day weekends. And now as an administrator who still teaches part-time, I love that I can still enjoy my lengthy summer but stay on administrative pay (woot woot!).

I wouldn’t give up my summer break for anything and neither would my colleagues. It’s the primary time that we have to enjoy with our friends and family and do things without having to worry about work-related tasks. Plus, I am already satisfied with what I will make next year ($85,000 admin pay and $50,000 tutoring) and am NOT going to ever advocate to give that up.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Backroads likes this.
  4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 30, 2019

This year teachers worked 172 days. That leaves 88 week days left. If we were to go down to only 15 work days off, that's taking away 73 vacation days. That's more than 25%. So I would need approximately 42% more pay. Also, we have incredibly long school days specifically to have more breaks. Families would rebel if we made our school year longer.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 30, 2019

My cousins attended school growing up in a year-round district, and I always thought it sounded great. Sadly, when I interviewed with that district (wound up taking a job in another district) they had cut down the number of schools on the year round schedule.

I'm distractable enough that such a set-up would have been appealing.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 30, 2019

Dude! When did that happen? Did I miss a post? Congrats.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 30, 2019

In all truthful opinion, I would not could not be an administrator. Especially having been in a toxic school. Especially with awareness even the seemingly best schools still have a lot of issues in the faculty and student body.

And add to that all the extra stuff...

I honestly have no issue saying that part of the reason I went into teaching was the breaks (and I don't think teachers should be chided for that).

8. Aces

Aces Habitué

Apr 30, 2019

This is basically where I'd be at. Like I stated in my follow up post to the question asked I'll have a couple weeks off where I wouldn't need to report to work but I'd still need to be reachable. The admin t team tries to attend all sporting events. Plus if there's concerts or things of that nature in order to support students. Which is fine, I go to concerts/sporting events anyways. Except now I'll actually get the pay that compensates for that.

Then of course there's the things that are required from a district level. Such as attending the high school's homecoming football game just as a show of support. Which I'll probably try to go to at least a couple football games for the high school anyways as we'll have 8th graders in both the marching band and cheer squad. Not even as a show of force like if you don't behave you're e gonna get in trouble. Not that at all. But as a genuine I want you to succeed at this activity. I'm not at all worried about any of our 8th graders participating in those high school activities.

9. futuremathsprof

Apr 30, 2019

Yep, just recently! Thank you for your congratulations and I am super excited for next year, too. My new position is titled Dean for Academic Affairs and I will also be the acting STEM director (I’ve been told I’ve been doing the latter unofficially anyway). It’s my dream job and I was almost brought to tears when I was informed that I got the position because I’m still working on getting my administrative credential — they said I’m overqualified based on my past performance and so I was blown away.

Backroads and catnfiddle like this.
  10. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Apr 30, 2019

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 1, 2019

Yes. In fact I’m doing that right now for exactly that amount more, although I will have much more earning potential after a few years and I’ll still have vacation and holidays off. An opportunity fell into my lap that I can’t pass up!
    I generally get bored after a few weeks off in the summer, and even though the break is much needed due to the stress of our jobs, I really don’t need all that time off. And now I just don’t have the money to travel and do many exciting things over the break especially where I live with high COL, and with the new job I will. The only thing I’ll miss is spending significant time with my family, but I’m looking at moving closer to them one day.

futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.
  12. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 2, 2019

Nope.

13. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 2, 2019

Félicitations! May I ask what the new opportunity is?

14. futuremathsprof

May 2, 2019

Don’t leave us hanging, haha! Wha is the new position and how much more will you be making? What is the total salary compensation package?

15. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 2, 2019

It’s with the federal government. Upper five figures depending on location. If you want more info, feel free to pm me.

16. futuremathsprof

May 2, 2019

I lack the ability to send PM’s for some reason. Could you PM, please? :)

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

May 4, 2019

Currently my answer would be "no". I'd consider it a very bad trade. Over 25 years ago when I started teaching and I was struggling to make ends meet, my answer would have been "yes". I would have jumped at the chance to pay back some loans and get money to pay some bills. Financially, the first couple of years as a teacher were brutal.

Going into teaching if I knew there would be less breaks in order to get more money, I would be less likely to have gone and stayed in teaching. A few years killing myself to make extra money would be okay, but I wouldn't want to do that for 30+ years.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 5, 2019

I find teaching to be very stressful. I love my job, and I love my kids. But even on the best day I am mentally exhausted. Between changing expectations and standards, changing curriculums, changing behaviors and behavior management systems not to mention just trying to keep up with everything it's a lot. I've started to wonder if some sort of longer school year with longer and more staggered breaks is the way to go. We are just coming off state testing season here and starting end of the year assessments. I REALLY wish we had a break, even a long weekend, at the end of April or early May to rest and refresh our brains. I don't know if a 25% raise would be enough to entice me to give up my summer breaks. They go so fast as it is.

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 5, 2019

I'd love to hear about this as well!

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 5, 2019

I'd love to hear about the new job but I'm not interested in the financial part. That's private info for only you.