Would you send your own children to your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AmyMyNamey, May 4, 2017.

1. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

May 4, 2017

I've been dying to ask this question for a long time, but keep getting hung up on all I'd like to say, getting mired in my desire to express untold frustrations and disappointments. I've realized I just need to get this question out there and stop thinking about how I feel, and instead focus on what others are experiencing.

My own SHORT answer: HELL NO! My school is trash. We are underfunded, understaffed, underpaid, and overworked. We are chock full of emotionally and mentally disturbed children who destroy most any chance the "normal" kids have of experiencing a quality education. My school is violent. My school is a breeding ground for sexual deviance and abuse. There is no innocence. Our administration is spineless and its discipline plan is toothless. Race is often the deciding factor in how issues are resolved. We are accustomed to tolerating outrageous behavior. We have no moral compass. We have no perspective.

In short, there are "children" at my school I would not allow my own children around, and for that reason I'd home school my kids before dumping them in the dysfunctional nightmare I call work.

How about you?

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  3. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 4, 2017

I would send my kids to my school. The school is not without its problems (although not to AmyMyNamey's extent of sexual deviance and abuse; acts of violence occur but are not everyday occurrences). There are problem students AND teachers AND admin but I strongly believe that it's the teachers in classrooms that make the most difference. And most of the teachers are fantastic educators who care. The problems are always going to be there, but I see how hard many of my colleagues work to make the best of it, to care when it's easier to not care and that's something important that I want my kids to watch and learn.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 4, 2017

I teach at a SPE school on the campus of another regular school. My daughter went there until we moved to a different county. I transferred her over there. I'm happier with her over there. People were like why move her over there? Well, she seems to have more extra activities offered over there. I'm more pleased with their teachers than where she was. They were ahead academically than her old school. I had to catch her up the first week she was over there.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 4, 2017

It would depend on my kid. If we offered the activities that my kid was interested in then yes. We meet the needs of probably 85% of our students very well. If my kid didn't fall in that category then I would send them to a school that is a better fit.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 4, 2017

Sure.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    AmyMyNamey likes this.
  7. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

May 4, 2017

Absolutely. My wife and I both teach at the same district and it truly is the best one in our city, bias aside.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

May 4, 2017

I did and I loved having him there. There is no such thing as perfect, but I loved having him in my school, understanding what was going on first hand. He rode to and from work with me, and it was a great time to share with him. As far as the school, if it needed changing, who better to work on that than a teacher on the inside?

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 4, 2017

No, I wouldn't send my kids to where I work.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 4, 2017

Yes, if I had them -- without hesitation.

I was just talking to my husband last night about one of my students who is on the autism spectrum. I was retelling how I overheard him invite someone to the prom the other day. It was the sweetest, most awkward thing ever! My husband asked if kids like that got harassed at my school, and honestly, the answer is no. We somehow have actually managed to create an inclusive, accepting campus culture, while also achieving some of the best academic outcomes in our county -- and that is as a Title One school. We have a little bit of everything here, and it works!

It has been a long, winding road for me to get to the school where I belong, and I know my school is an exception to the rule. I am very grateful for what we have!

(Oh and I wanted to add -- the prom date said yes! )

miatorres, anon55, AmyMyNamey and 2 others like this.
  11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 4, 2017

I wouldn't be opposed, even though I'm considering leaving this school. Yet it has many very good things going for it.

But... I also live not even a block away from a good elementary school.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  12. melnm

melnm Companion

May 4, 2017

I did, but I taught at a private school for that reason. I loved having them at the same school as me.

AmyMyNamey and SageScience like this.
  13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 4, 2017

I saw the title of this thread and I was about to post "Psh, HELL NO" but then I saw OP already posted it.

But I think more importantly there's no way I would raise my kids in this community. This community is trash. There's a reason why the suicide rate is so high here.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  14. DobbyChatt

DobbyChatt Rookie

May 4, 2017

No, and I would question public education in general for my children.

Backroads and AmyMyNamey like this.
  15. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

May 4, 2017

My last school I hated, they were terrible to the staff, but amazing to the kids. My current school, yes.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 4, 2017

If my imaginary children needed our type of school environment (small group, no frills / extracurriculars, mostly credit recovery), I would absolutely have them attend.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  17. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

May 4, 2017

although some kids with good home life and appropriate parental support can do well in my rural school, I wouldn't want my kids here. The % of students who are academically motivated is just too low. I think kids do well when surrounded by a peer group with similar vision and goals.

anon55 and AmyMyNamey like this.
  18. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 4, 2017

My parents were teachers and purposely didn't send me to either of their schools so that I didn't have to deal with the whole "parent being a teacher" thing. My mom wanted me to be independent and didn't want to know absolutely everything that was going on with me at school. I really appreciated that growing up and I'd do the same if I had kids.

If I didn't feel that way and I just had to choose based on the quality of the school, I'd probably still say no. The teachers at my school work very hard and the great majority are fantastic. Howeverer, I work in a very low SES school and there are a lot of issues. The behavior seems to get worse every year, to the point where there are always several classes in the building that are being robbed of learning on a daily basis because of out of control kids (they're missing instructional time becuase they have to evacuate the room). Besides that, our kids just have so many academic needs as well. If my hypoethetical child was a high achiever, I'd worry about them not being appropriately challenged because we have to focus so much on the struggling learners that make up most of our population. If my hypothetical kid was a struggling student, I'd worry about them not getting the help they need because it's spread so thin, whereas higher SES schools have a lot of resources to devote to their relatively few struggling learners.

Backroads and AmyMyNamey like this.
  19. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 4, 2017

I sent both of my children through the school system where I teach. I even had one of them in class for the year. It happens to most of the teachers in my district, and it really isn't an issue.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  20. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 4, 2017

Absolutely, in fact I do! My daughter is in second grade at my school.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  21. Sab

Sab Companion

May 4, 2017

Honestly, I wouldn't send my hypothetical future children to any school I attended or student taught at. I'd want them in a good, non-religious private school, though it's doubtful I could ever afford that, so

anon55 and AmyMyNamey like this.