Would you drive this far for a teaching job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pommom, Jun 25, 2018.

?

Would you drive 40 miles one way for a teaching job? (So 80 miles a day)

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 25, 2018

Poll

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2018

I actually do.

4. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Jun 25, 2018

I'm amazed at how many teachers do it. In Pennsylvania there are 500 school districts, and most teachers stay in the first district that hires them. I've run into teachers driving 60 miles each way.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jun 25, 2018

I’m currently driving 4 miles one way. Before we moved to our new building, I was driving 2 miles. I’m not a fan of driving or mornings, so I prefer being close.

DH drove a mile to work for 22 years, then moved here. He’s driving 25 miles one way now. He doesn’t mind.

Plenty of coworkers drive 20 to 30 miles each way. The longest distance was one who drive 60 a day.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2018

I am paid very well for my services, they have paid the tuition for part of my masters, as well as all of my SPED certification. I like the people I work with, we are encouraged to grow and develop procedures and curriculum for our population of students. I could work only 20 miles away, but I enjoy making a salary that is over 25 percent higher than the closer job, which is a great district. It's just not the best job for me.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 25, 2018

I actually drive further than that. Nearly a decade ago, I landed my dream job at a fantastic school, which is 80 km (50 miles) from home. Amazing colleagues, supportive admin, great families - the best place to start my career. I've built up a great resume and gained unique experiences due to being in a small district. This coming fall I will be trading in that long commute for a much, much shorter one. But I wouldn't trade the past 10 years for anything. If it's the right school, the drive isn't an issue.

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Devotee

Jun 25, 2018

No, I would not. However, I was lucky to have several options in my area when job searching. Since I am not married, I would relocate closer to my job before driving that distance.

9. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Jun 25, 2018

To me that really isn't very far. I drove close to that for about 5 years. I was happy to drive it because it let me live and work where I wanted to.

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 25, 2018

I'm amazed at everyone who has long commutes!
    I've never had to drive more than.. I think, 7 miles to work. Shortest commute was my most recent school, about 2 miles!

11. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 25, 2018

I am most likely receiving an offer for a school that is that distance (I was told today just waiting on HR) I have never driven that far for a job before. It will take some getting used to. I had great vibes from admin team and the position is perfect. I just wish I can land that same position closer, but at least I tried.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 25, 2018

I drove a hundred miles a day for years. It was at a great school with awesome administrators, wonderful coworkers, and excellent professional opportunities. I don’t miss the drive, but definitely miss the school.

Download podcasts and audiobooks. They definitely help you unwind from the day.

13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 25, 2018

Never ever. I drive about 12-18 miles each way (there's a range because there's like 4 routes I could take there and I switch it up just because I get bored doing the same every day). For me it's a good distance. I don't want to live right in the town because A) I couldn't afford it (very wealthy suburb) and B) I wouldn't want to run into students/parents every time I go to the store. I wouldn't want to live any further either though. If it was a job I really wanted, I would consider moving closer.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 26, 2018

For me, it totally depends on what kind of drive it is. If it was a school I really liked and it was 40 miles on roads that weren't too crowded and 40 miles meant getting there in 40-50 minutes, I'd definitely do it. I could even see it being relaxing listening to music or audio books. If the 40 miles were in busy rush hour traffic, and that meant a commute of over an hour in traffic, no way would I do it.

I currently live about 9 miles away from my work, but traffic is awful for about half of my drive (it's half highway, half on a regular road, and there's no quicker way round the highway). On the best days I get there in a little over 20 minutes. On a normal day it's closer to 30, and if there's an accident or something going on it's easily 45. If it's snowing (we don't get many snow days) I can easily expect an hour or more. Going home, it's much busier and about 35 minutes is generally the best I can do. I'd almost rather a longer but easier and more consistent drive.

I once interviewed for a job that would have been about a 50 minute commute 1 way for me, but it was all on more rural roads with no traffic and it would have been that same easy drive every time. The school also seemed really nice. I would have definitely taken the job if offered, but I didn't get it.

15. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 26, 2018

For the last 20 years of my teaching career, I commuted 50 miles to work every day. Of course, if I had a choice, I would've opted to work closer to home. I once figured the total distance driven would have gotten me to the moon and although I wouldn't have made it back home, the few extra miles would've been enough to circumnavigate the lunar planet about fifteen times!

Commuters definitely put a lot more wear and tear on their cars and the high mileage can affect premiums for car insurance. Increased gas consumption can become quite costly depending on the type of car used and increasing gas prices.

Another thing that commuters may have to contend with is safety on the road. My commute took me along a stretch of highway known as Death Alley due to the number of deadly crashes that occurred every year. Fortunately, for several years I owned an amazing car that not only averaged 75 mpg, but was constructed of extruded aluminum which was reportedly stronger than steel. Thank God, I survived my commute long enough to retire!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2018

At this point in my career--4 years to retirement--I wouldn't. Earlier on, I would have.

17. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jun 26, 2018

No. I hate driving. To me it’s a waste of time. If I got the job and it was great, I’d move closer.

18. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Jun 26, 2018

Absolutely. Again, it depends on the traffic of course. I've never had a shorter than 30 mile commute. I used to commute 30 miles to high school. Mine is currently 25 each way. I enjoy the ride--I listen to music, plan my day, plan my weekends, whatever. It's downtime that I appreciate, especially if I'm heading to a rehearsal or a music lesson--gives me time to switch gears.

19. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2018

I agree with waterfall. For me, it wouldn’t be about the miles. It’d be about the minutes. If the time it takes to get there and back is reasonable, I’d do it.

20. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jun 26, 2018

Agreed. When I first got hired here it was a 35-45 mins ride one way (depending on how traffic goes that morning; when it snowed it might have been an hour+). But I'm still here, and we've since moved closer. Now I'm 15 minutes away and it is a.m.a.z.i.n.g. Snow makes things complicated as snow does but still even taking my time in the snow it's only say 30ish mins usually.

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2018

My sister is my driving buddy - she calls after school, and we chat as I drive home from school. We are 1200 miles apart, but thanks to the cell phone, she is practically in the car with me. It is where we "meet" frequently, and there are days that if I need to rant, she listens and understands, leaving me in a better mood than when we started. My afternoon commute takes longer, so a special thanks to a special sister who "gets me" as well as my job.

i.heart.trees, Been There and pommom like this.