would you consider changing jobs if it meant you had a longer drive?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by luvmaui, Jul 7, 2008.

1. luvmaui

luvmaui New Member

Jul 7, 2008

Just curious, do most of you work and live in the same community or do you commute to your school for work? I am considering a change in districts but it would mean I would have a 35 mile commute versus 12 mile drive. Gas is expensive but I am looking for a change.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2008

I would consider it if I weren't very happy in my current position. Job satisfaction may well be worth a few extra minutes in the car.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2008

If I ever change schools, I wil almost certainly be guaranteed a longer commute (my current one is about 7 minutes!). While I wouldn't want to travel more than about 25 minutes, I would consider it.

5. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 7, 2008

I'm having that same decision to make. I've been offered a great position but it comes with a much longer commute.

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 7, 2008

For the past two years, I've driven 35 minutes one way to school. With the increasing gas prices, it started to get a bit expensive (since my husband also commutes 25 minutes to work), but to tell you the truth, I find it well worth it. I was extremely happy there and for that kind of peace of mind, I am always willing to spend a little extra time and money. Sadly, I was declared surplus at my school at the end of this year and then redundant in my board, so now I am pretty stressed--where will I end up, will I be as happy as I have been, what grade will I have to teach (I really want to stay in intermediate), will I have to take a job teaching French (that is always hell)? I am not in a position to be picky, so I will have to take what I can get when and if something comes up. The good news is that out of 82 redundant teachers in my boards, I am close enough to the top at #29. Hopefully 29 new jobs will be added so that I can have a chance!

7. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I didn't change school to increase/decrease the commute. I moved to a city outside of my community and then my District move me to the school that is the farthest from my home. I would not change district to be closer to home.

8. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 8, 2008

I live just outside my district ... but the commute is just five minutes depending upon how many red lights I hit.

I like living outside the district. Most people in this area don't know that I'm a teacher.

I once attended a dinner party at the home of a teacher who who lived in her district. On a SATURDAY NIGHT at 10 PM, a parent rang the doorbell. She claimed that she had been out walking her dog. Since she saw that the lights were on, she figured what the heck, why not ring the doorbell to say hi ... and BTW, could she ask about her son's grades? Amazingly enough, my friend complied with this request. I would have metaphorically booted her off my property. After all ... 10 PM ... on a Saturday night ... with company already in my home? YIKES! :woot:

9. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I live in the same district that I teach in and I still drive 20 mins to get there. I would not change a bit! At times, I do run into some kids and parents but I like it!

10. Justine Cognito

Justine Cognito Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

Before I got my credential I worked as an ABA tutor for a school district in another community. The closest school in the district was 25 miles from my home. I was a long drive, but worth it to work in a good district.

Had this district been able to give me an internship in conjunction with my university, I would have stayed with them and done the commute. I did end up getting an internship closer to home (10 miles) and ended up liking it much more than I thought I would.

Once my I had my credential, my old program manager called me and wanted me to "come home" so to speak. It was always assumed that I would return, by them and me. I seriously considered going back, but I wouldn't have had my preferred grade levels and they wanted to place me at a school 36 miles from my house, one way. That would have added at least an hour to my commute each way. My husband thought I was insane, and this was before gas prices exploded. It was very hard to turn them down but I am so glad I did. It takes me 15 minutes to get to/from work now. I cannot imagine sitting on the freeway for 1+ hour each way.

Good luck with your decision.

11. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

I can't believe it...my old job just posted (or somewhat). I taught grade 7 and this year it's a 7/8 which means that if I got it I would teach my students from last year again. That would be heaven, but there's one problem. It's only a 0.7 time and I need to work full-time. If the school had a few more students it might be full time!! Geez that sucks!

12. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Jul 8, 2008

I can ride my bike to work. I live that close. I would go for a longer commute if it meant more money, otherwise I am fine where I am until then.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2008

Would it maybe be possible to make up some of that "missing" 30% supply teaching at the school? I know it wouldn't happen everyday, but could it happen often enough to make it worthwhile?

14. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

Possibly. I knew the teacher who had it (the more experienced teacher who bumped me out) didn't really want it, she accepted it so she could be placed. Now it's open, I'm already out and it's not full time. I could possibly sign for it, but taking the chance on making up the money in supply is risky financially for a few reasons - it's a 35 minute ride from home, so without guarantees of making full-time money, that's a lot of money in gas, it's possible that if I wait, a full-time position somehwere else may come up, and maybe closer to home. If it were a 0.9 or even a 0.8 I might consider it, but I did the math and I would be potentially losing $12 000.00 per year. That's income that I need right now since I'm still digging out of student loans and in three years my daughter is looking at university! I think I'll sit on it for now. I know from experience that things always turn out the way they are meant to, one way or another, even if we don't always understand it at the time.

15. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I would take the longer commute only if I knew I was going to be happier and it was a beneficial move. I wouldn't take a longer commute just for a change, but there would have to be a substantial reason, oh and more money helps!

16. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2008

For my 1st teaching job, I had an hour commute each way. That was when gas started going up and it was less than $2.00 a gallon so I moved closer to home but got less job satisfaction. I am not really moving this time to a longer commute but I am going about the same distance in the opposite direction. The problem is that my husband, children, and myself were all in the same viscinity and were able to carpool and run 1 car on most days and 2 on some. Now when gas is getting even higher, we will definately run 2 cars everyday and on some days we will be running 3 cars. I cannot wait for our gas bills next year, but I just could not stand another year at my old school no matter what the extra gas is going to cost, because at this point my sanity was at stake.

17. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I have about a 40 minute commute on a highway going through farm land. It is sometimes the solitude I need after crazy days. I do not like the winter driving and it does get pretty gusty here in WI. If this position would bring happiness in your professional life I would go for it. You can always buy or rent books on tape for your drive :).

Good luck with your decision! :cool: