Would this raise eyebrows for you?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 7, 2013

I have a student that is very different from the others. She is of average intelligence and is very social with her peers...too social, you might say. All day every day she makes noises. Usually it's animal noises like meowing or "boinging" noises. It's not only distracting, but it has me wondering. Would you say this is normal behavior? She is totally unaware that she is doing it. When I ask her to stop, she gives me a blank smile, stops, then meows a moment later. Hmmm..

3. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Oct 7, 2013

I had an ADHD student my first year of teaching, who howled like a wolf and made other animal sounds rather frequently. He couldn't seem to stop. I'm not sure he was cognizant he was doing it either-- it just came out. He was prescribed medication for ADHD before he came to me, but his mom did not like giving it to him. When she did give him the meds, he was much calmer and didn't make the sounds.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2013

Consider putting her on a contract...could be she's simply unaware of the noises she's making and working with a checklist/contract old I've her feedback. Could be its something more (Tourette's ?), so the contract could be one way of documenting for further exploration.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 7, 2013

lol, I have a first grader who does this. I'm sure he is unaware when he starts making them but as soon as someone (student or adult) tells him to stop, it escalates and he begins doing it louder (he has a little smirk on his face). On good days he is able to stop with the reminder of a treat and on bad days he is more able to stop, when told that each time he makes a noise and is politely asked to stop and he doesn't then he will earn a tally mark. Each tally mark is 1 minute of sitting quietly at his desk during recess. So far he has missed 2 minutes of recess.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 7, 2013

Are you thinking Tourettes? Perhaps an informal observation by the school psychologist would help? This is what I did when I suspected a student may have had Tourette's and it turned out to be true. It was a tough year but turned out ok for all involved.

7. a2z

a2z Phenom

Oct 7, 2013

My youngest used to hum or whistle or make noises. It sometimes is just unconscious. The more my youngest had to focus the more the unconscious noises would come out.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Aficionado

Oct 7, 2013

The only time I've seen behavior like that was from a boy with high-functioning Autism... but assuming this behavior is the only thing off, I'd consider HFA to be highly unlikely. It could be Tourette's, but with that, don't they usually know what they are doing, and just can't help it?

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 7, 2013

It could also be a manipulative ploy for attention. I think you'd have to start with a behavioral contract that has meaning for the student and go from there. Has the student indicated that she wants to stop but can't?

10. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 7, 2013

Document the behaviors for a few weeks and attempt some behavior interventions and if those are unsuccessful, contact the school psychologist/child study team to ask for the psych to come in to observe the student around Thanksgiving or so.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 8, 2013

My GS has ADHD, and has to constantly be moving. If he can't move, he makes noises. So, I suspect is may be a symptom of something.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 8, 2013

We had a little girl that purred like a cat last year. She would tell us she was going to be a kitten when she grew up. When you met her parents, it made sense.

13. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Oct 8, 2013

My cousin meows in sixth grade. She's just...unique. ;)

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2013

I would also look at Tourettes. I had a student when I was at the middle school a few years ago that would make animal sounds without realzing what she was doing. It was found later that she did have tourettes, but she had also been classified as Emotionally Disturbed before so they didn't know which was causing the animal noise.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2013

Hoping it's just impulse control. When I was that age, I couldn't understand it was unacceptable to start singing during classwork time. It took getting sent to the office after a full blown rendition of "Oklahoma" (I had seen it the night before) to get me to understand the problem my poor teacher had.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2013

:lol: I just pictured you sitting there, quietly starting your work, then all of sudden standing up and belting "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKLAHOMA"!!!!!!!!

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2013

Yeah, that was pretty much how that went down. The fact I can still remember it over 35 years later means it was fairly burned in my brain. What can I say? It was my first live musical and I was pumped!

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 8, 2013

That is hysterical!

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 8, 2013

I had a kid who threw a girl's backpack into the boys bathroom and got in trouble. The next day, he was practically apoplectic when he sputtered that he had searched through the school handbook over and over again and couldn't find anywhere that it said it was against the rules to throw a backpack into the boys bathroom. So, kids' minds are often a mystery.....

20. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Oct 8, 2013

:rofl:

21. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 9, 2013

I'd consider taping it and letting her listen, then asking her reactions.