Worst Principal experience?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by miatorres, Jul 19, 2007.

1. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I am just curious to know what you think about the worst principal experience you ever had and how you solved it.

There was one principal who, although she came from an urban background where hardly anyone ever went to college, did not seem to understand why many students who attend this inner city middle or high school were reluctant to succeed. Before coming to our school, she only taught and served in administration with highly motivated populations. She seemed to think that telling reluctant students in our school to pay attention was what you had to do to engage them!!!

This principal would act like the low scores were caused by the teachers and only the teachers. She would allow students to gossip about teachers in her office and then insinuate that we were bad teachers and how unfair it was that the students had us as leaders.

The way that we tried to improve the situation was asking her for suggestions and pointing out the postives of our classroom.

I would be interested in hearing about your experiences.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2007

I've been very lucky!

I've taught in 2 schools since 1980. I've had 3 principals. All, especially the one for whom I now work, have been gems.

4. mrs.sparker

mrs.sparker Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

When I was student teaching, our principal was caught with a crack pipe and drug residue after giving the kids a 1 hour assembly on how to better themselves (a major point was to stay away from drugs). He resigned.

5. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

I had a principal that was screaming in the hallway at a teacher. A few months later he shot and killed the superintendent.
    But I honestly do not know who was better - the principal or the superintendent.
    I heard an educator who is way up there - I heard this person say "the principals they have in schools now days are really lousy."

6. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I had an assistant principal tell the students that he didn't care if they were locked in a room with a kid that was going to beat them up. They were not allowed to fight back, but instead run to a teacher. Then a student pointed out that they would be locked in a room so how would they tell a teacher? He replied with "speak through the door, but remember not to yell, since school is in session."

7. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Leaving kids alone in the room

I've come across similar a few times, not with assistants, but with principals. At least the principal seems to have been trying to back up the teacher who left the kids alone in the room.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

I am going on my third year teaching and my 5th principal. I can share a lot of worst principal experiences...But I'll have to say the one that played favorites and made life miserable everyone else, and never came to work or always showed up late was the worst. She's even yelled at people for trying to help others when she wasn't around to give the answer. She wanted to have control over the school, but didn't want to actually come run the school. There's more, but I prefer not to think about it.

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

My "worst" principal was the one who hated women. Men teachers could go into his office and ask for anything and get it. I a female teacher asked for something, there was never money in the budget for it. My best friend (female) put in a request to get balances and microscopes fixed. Of couse, she got the standard answer, "There is no money in the budget." We decided to get another friend (male) to submit an exact request. The principal replied, "Lets not fix them, just order new ones." One month later we has 6 new electronic balances and 6 new microscopes.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

I have been a shop teacher for 30 years
    One time in wood shop while the kids were working (Like beavers!) The principal said my room was dirty! He left and the class ended (the students did the normal clean up) and he came back and said "see I knew you could clean it up" Heck he thought kids did not make sawdust or scraps of wood! like it was there all the time. It was normal shop trash that gets cleaned up everyday.

One principal owned a spouse SWAPING CLUB!

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 24, 2007

What the heck is is a spouse swaping club? I'm afraid to ask.

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

well er you go to the club and er pick out a woman (not your wife) Have sex with her and then go home with your wife after she has had sex with the woman's husband :blush: :crosseyed :sorry: :blush: :|

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 25, 2007

I've heard of that practice. Not new information. I think from your original posting that I was assuming the principal owned something that was ON CAMPUS. Yet they bust people everyday for having lifestyle issues that are way less "different" than this.

14. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

I have had some crazy principals! My first one was Venezuelan, and had such a think accent that no one could understand him, and he LOVED to talk on the intercom!

My next one was a woman with something to prove! She hated women too, and she especially hated me because I was young and pretty and got a lot of attention from the male teachers. she entered my room one year, screamed at me in front of the students, noticed a diet coke on my desk, and led me and the entire class out into the hall to make me pour it down the drain. I was humiliated (and I'm a diabetic, so she had no place to do that) and I filed a grievance and won.

The man who replaced her is soooooooo easy going and nice, but he doesn't do anything except make whoopy with our IO on his lunch breaks. He's never here at school, but at least when he is here he is super friendly and nice. ha ha

15. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

My first principal had a criminal assault record (he liked to beat his wife and daughters) and managed to keep his job for a couple of years through the work of a very good, expensive big city attorney. They finally allowed him to "resign." (yeah, right)

My next principal was awesome and we are very good friends. Mercifully, we all escaped the super from he** and will be starting great new jobs in different districts. However, her replacement has a DUI problem and has to have someone drive him to school this summer because he lost his license at the end of the school year while drunk from a party at the super's house. It was not his first offense. But, he got to keep his job and got a promotion and enjoy (?) his summer while many of us were scrambling to find work outside of that terrible place. I am hoping my new principal (and I think he will be) is great as he came off as being very professional and kind. He was also very familiar with my past employers and so knows the score.

16. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

My current principal only has a job because of the color of her skin.

Since she has been the principal of my school we have had to hire over 20 teacher's every year since she has been here.

This year, she had to hire some more teachers because our enrollment went up and instead of hiring one of each type of classroom teacher she hired ALL language arts and math leaving our other classes short handed.

To top that off, when she was making the schedule for this year she put me in classes during first and seventh period and did not give me a lunch break OR a planning period.

...oh and I am a coach and none of my classes were athletics lol.

I am not going to even get into how she treats our staff for being horrible teacher's.

Sorry for the rant, school hasn't started yet and I am already pissed off at the lady for a few other things that I did not mention.