Worst/Best Summer Reading Books Ever

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

I remember the summer between eighth and ninth grade, I was assigned Native Son by Richard Wright (is this correct?). It was the most awful assignment ever because it described an extremely graphic murder.

Now I know someone going into 9th grade who is reading Great Expectations and Fast Food Nation for her summer books. I would have loved to read a book like the latter when I was her age, but I had to read that... other... book. (I also read some of Great Expectations on my own, I remember.)

What are some of the worst books that can be assigned for summer reading assignments? And then on the other hand, the best?

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

I had to read "And then there was one" going into 9th grade. I actually really liked it!!

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 9, 2008

See, I absolutely LOVED Native Son! I think it's an incredible novel that shows the far reaching impact of racism. I do think it's a little much for a ninth grader, though...

I wish that the summer readings we assigned centered more on popular/modern fiction or nonfiction, like Fast Food Nation. I don't expect the average kid to delve into something like A Tale of Two Cities and understand it on his own.

5. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 9, 2008

I hated doing my AP Summer Reading when I was a senior in high school. I forget now what we read, but we had to do several essay tests that had to be turned in the first week of school. Of course, it did get me ready for the fast pace/high expectations of the course, but I still disliked it. :)

6. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

I don't remember any school assigning reading during the summer back in my day. (I'm 44) But maybe they did--just not in my area. I do remember having to read The Hobbit in 8th grade and hating it. It was painful and I love to read... but not that.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2008

I think I would have better appreciated Native Son around senior year compared to pre-freshman year. Obviously I understood the underlying message, yet it was foreboding to me at the time. I remember feeling very overwhelmed when I entered ninth grade in fear of having to say something about the book.

I LOVED Brave New World, though, and read that one in twelfth grade. It would actually be fabulous to read it again.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 10, 2008

Something WIcked This Way Comes was aweful.

The Kite Runner was great.

(I read them with my son).

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 10, 2008

My sister had to read "A Handmaid's Tale" between 9th and 10th grades. I LOVE that book, but I think it's a little much for that age. I think it would have been more appropriate for an AP reading list.

10. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

Never had assigned summer reading in my day, either.
    Books I hated in school: A Separate Peace, The Scarlett Letter

Loved: MacBeth, Metamorphosis

Really disliked the writing part of English in high school, so I kind of avoided college prep class (Expository Writing). I took public speaking and world authors instead.

11. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Aug 12, 2008

Ooh, I hated a Separate Peace, too. I loved the traditional To Kill A mockingbird and The Grapes of Wrath. But I read those on my own. I don't remember required summer reading. I wouldn't have minded, but I like choosing my own reading. I think the best list would allow you to choose the ones that you wanted to read.

12. eman_ekaf

eman_ekaf Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I just read A Spearate Peace this summer as assigned reading...I really liked it.

To Kill a Mockingbird is the greatest book ever.

I've never read the Grapes of Wrath, but I hear it's alright.

13. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 12, 2008

As a student I loved "The Red Badge of Courage", but I was way into the Civil War at that time.
    I also loved "The Scarlet Pimpernel" series by Baroness Orczy.