Worried about observation yesterday

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 19, 2013

I had an observation yesterday during math. I'm supposed to have two paras with me - one F/T and one P/T. My F/T para has been out for 2 months and counting for another one of her workman's comp injuries :rolleyes: and my P/T was out yesterday for whatever her reason was. There was a sub for my F/T para, but not for my P/T. So, we get into our math groups. I put the sub with my smaller math group and me with my larger group. I usually have a para work one-on-one with my one very difficult student but I was short a person so I couldn't do that. Anyway, my sub struggled with the small group because he wasn't used to working with them so I had to keep checking on them instead of just working with my group. Even worse, I didn't have any help for my one difficult student and she pulled out all the stops during the observation - rolling on the floor for a bit, getting up and wandering around the room a couple of times, playing with "toys" rather than not doing her work and rebelling when I took stuff away from her by turning her chair backwards and crossing her arms across her chest. I spent at least 50% of the lesson dealing with her.

My supervisor left when I was going over the homework. By the way, I warned her about this student in advance, but I'm still nervous. Should I email her and explain that I was down a para? She should know this, but I don't think it will register with her. :(

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2013

I wouldn't worry. It sounds like the admin got an authentic observation. If you're still concerned then I would mention it at your post observation meeting.

4. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Nov 19, 2013

I'm glad she saw it. Hope it all "registers"!

5. bella84

bella84 Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2013

You know... I always worry about getting observed at times like this, as well. But, then I think, "It's about time they see all the crap I'm dealing with when I'm short on paras/dealing with a lone extreme problem child." Better to see what really goes on in your classroom than to think you've got it easy, even when you're short-staffed. If your admin gives you any trouble, then explain. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. :2cents:

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2013

What evaluation plan is your district using? You need to go into your post ready to talk about how you use your paras, the situation with sub/absent para. You did what you could do in difficult circumstances...

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 19, 2013

We use the Danielson model and this was my first observation of the year so I'm not sure what to expect. I hope she sees it the way you do...:)

8. Just Ducky

Just Ducky Rookie

Nov 19, 2013

I smiled when I read your post because I went through the same worries and we use Danielson too... we have a new principal this year and he is tough...rumor has it that he has 1/2 of the staff on improvement plans following the formal observation- I think it all depends on your principal. Hopefully yours will be more understanding than mine is. Hang in there :)

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Nov 20, 2013

Hopefully you will get feedback from the observation and this will show administration the difficulties you are having when you don't have a para on a regular basis and who know the students.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2013

Did you get your write-up back? How did it go?

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 20, 2013

No, but thanks for asking. Last year it took me over a week to get feedback so I have no idea what to expect.

12. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Nov 20, 2013

Doesn't your district have a time limit on when your written feedback should be received? Check your contract.

We are using Danielson this year as well. It's a big pain in the butt! Did you do your post conference questions yet? Make sure you explain everything in detail there.