World History Help

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SingBlueSilver, Aug 1, 2010.

1. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 1, 2010

This will be my second year teaching 7th grade World History (which covers the Fall of Rome, the Middle Ages, and the Early Modern World). Prior, I had taught 8th grade U.S. History (early republic through Reconstruction). My background knowledge on world history isn't as in depth as US. I'd like to work on this by perhaps reading some books on the subject. Does anyone have any recommendations on some books I could read to help me?

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 1, 2010

In my humble opinion, one of the best single volume works that summarizes the fall of Rome and the middle ages is:

A History of The Medieval World, by Susan Wise Bauer. It's lengthy, but absolutely top notch. She also has a volume on the ancient world that is just as good.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 1, 2010

Ron - beat me to the post :p totally agree with Ron, this is a very good book

I have a few at school I would recommend. I'll post tomorrow from my classroom.

5. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 1, 2010

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion! Earlier, I had scoured Amazon.com's "Listmania!" and just got overwhelmed. Will definitely take a look at it. :)