World Civ Centers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Historyteaching, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 26, 2010

They look good, but I do them a little differently....I may have each station focused on a particular topic rather than a particular skill or task.

2. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 27, 2010

I think they sound great - I might borrow this for next year :) This time period is my least favorite to teach and therefore probably the lessons I spend the less amount of time coming up with different lessons and activities.

I hope this goes well for you. The first time I did centers, my problem was I didn't really plan well for the amount of time each center took so I had some kids done really quickly and some could not complete the task the allotted time. Let us know how it goes :)

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 27, 2010

Well, things went okay. The students enjoyed the activities and I think they learned a lot, but timing was a problem. In approximately 50 minutes, we got through only 3 of the 6 stations. I was hoping for 10 minutes per station, but that clearly wasn't enough time, so I ended up changing it to 15. But at 15 minutes per station, it will take multiple days.

How much time do you give per center? Do I need to make the activities shorter perhaps?

4. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Aug 27, 2010

How do you set up your classroom for centers? I'm interesting in trying centers, but need the visual so I can see where & how to do it.

TIA

5. Ms.History

Ms.History Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

Ron6103 - What clip do you use for the Iceman discovery? If you don't mind posting some other specifics on your stations, I'd love some more details on them; they sound great!

6. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 27, 2010

Sure, I'll be happy to give specifics....

The Iceman clip came from Prentice Hall's "World History" teaching resources DVD. The DVD contains short (roughly 10 minute) video clips on a wide array of subjects. For textbook produced material, it's actually quite good, and brief enough to hold interest.

For the maps, I just pull blank outline maps from the internet (just try typing outline map of __________ into google). I then build questions based on the map, or have the students fill in the map based on locations.

For the vocab, I borrowed the activity from another teacher on here. --> http://mrroughton.com/brainchain.aspx

For the images, I again use Google. Tons of pictures there, and I just print them off with my color printer at home.

For the computer quiz station, we have software at the school called QuizShow (or something like that) that lets you create a virtual game show. It's really quite neat, but can be done with all sorts of different software.

7. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 27, 2010

We started stations this week, doing a basic review of geography items. We gave four days with four stations, students worked at their own pace as long as they were done by Thursday. Any makeup will be done on Friday (Just not this Friday for this particular section)

Stations were:

1. Mapping continents, oceans, prime mer., equator, scale, compass rose

2. vocab flash cards (index cards)

3. 5 themes of Me (using 5 themes of geography) Answered questions about themselves

4. Physical and Politicial Maps w/a couple questions for each.

We started with 4 to ease them into the idea of stations and how they worked. We wanted to do a quick review over basic skills and info that they had learned in middle school. This was also good to start with because if they didn't understand how the centers worked, it wasn't a big problem because the information is already known.

The first day they were a little deer in headlights but started getting the idea and did fine. Why we are spending 4 days is because each unit will last 2-4 weeks depending on the region. We have plenty of time to do this amount of time in stations plus have teacher centered classwork, as well as video if necessary and testing.

8. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Aug 28, 2010

Ron-- it sounds like you created great stations!

I'm definitely using the stations too this year. Because my global classes will be taught regionally this year, I decided to use almost entire week for review of each region using this breakdown:

1- Geography
    2- Early History & Civilizations ("Golden Age")
    3- Age of Imperialism & Empires
    4- Nationalism
    5- Modern Problems

Within each stations, students will: analyze photos, write short journal entries, watch clips on laptops (IF I can get them for that week), vocabulary exercises, etc.

I know this is going to take days to do because it's SO much material but I want to test 2-3 times per unit. For instance: Unit = Latin America, Test #1 = Geography, Golden Age (Aztec, Maya and Inca), Test #2 = European Colonialism, Test #3 = Nationalism, Essay = Modern Problems and possibly a cumulative exam. Of course, this is going to eat up a lot of time.

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 28, 2010

Soccerdad, I think this is a great way to culmanate your units and I think your have created a great timeline for your stations. And while it will take a few days, I think your students will really get a great understanding of each region. I also think your stations will work great for students because the topic of each station will remain the same and will enhance the historical meaning to each region your class studies.

10. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Aug 28, 2010

Thanks Inteacher! This is my first time teaching Global History regionally and I'm worried about having students understand the timeline of events because I know it'll be confusing to backtrack from region to region. However, I'm ecstatic to try something new because I think it'll be so much easier to make connections between things and truly understand why our world is the way it is and, hopefully, establish a greater understanding of why history is so darn important!

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 30, 2010

I plan on doing stations more often with my freshman. Do you guys tend to collect and grade them or just hope that the kids do them?