Workout Sound-off

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, May 25, 2011.

1. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2011

Nice Jem! I need something like that to give me accountability! That is why I liked doing the Biggest Loser at my gym, even though there was no chance of me winning-didn't have enough to lose-It was worth every penny to me!

2. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 21, 2011

I don't really like working out so I joined my local TapnBurn class. And I love it!!
    If you have always wanted to tap, this class is so much fun!
    And now it is available online. I go to class 2-3 times per week and now I can do classes at home. You do not HAVE to have tap shoes but they are fun! Just don't tap on your hardwood floors.

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2011

I've never heard of TapnBurn...I've been a tapping at a dance studio for the past 6 years and about 8 years when I was young.

Is it a franchise like Jazzercize or Zumba?

4. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 22, 2011

TapnBurn was a local business that has expanded to Pennsylvania in the past year. I don't work for them but I love the class. Love to get in my tap shoes and sweat!

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 23, 2011

I tried to do the 30 day shred and literally could not move after the first day. So, my new goal is to try yoga and the couch to 5K program. One of the reasons I quit work was to get in shape because it is so important for my lungs so I have to get on this!

6. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 23, 2011

Hey all, thanks for all the great feedback you've given me concerning trying to lose 10 lbs in 4 weeks. We're leaving next week to head up north & of course I didn't reach my goal. I was serious enough to put more effort. The good thing I have been consistent in walking every day for almost two weeks. It's so easy to get in on a routine when I don't have school or development training to worry about. With the luxury of time I walked at least 6 miles everyday. Yesterday I tried the JM "six week/6 pack" DVD but I had difficulty keeping up with it.

I realize that for any chances to occur I have to make the effort & make some personal changes to my life style. At the moment I will set small goals to adjust my eating habits and concentrate on doing some form of exercise everyday for at least an hour.

I don't know how it will work out when we go on vacation next week buy Ill just have to take it one day at a time.

7. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jun 23, 2011

I just got back from the gym and am proud of myself for hitting my goal! I have slowly been trying to get back into running and finally got in my 3 mins in 35 mins...to many this may not be much, but I have been close every day but today I got there with 2 seconds to spare!

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 20, 2011

Good job on that goal, ami!!

After taking a few weeks off training to figure out my new work schedule/personal life balance, I'm back at it. I decided to start a blog to keep track of my thoughts-I'm reading a lot of books about how to stay motivated as a woman runner, so I'll share what I read and learn. There's also a lot of opportunity for discussion about how we all fit activity in our lives/view our running. Let me know if you guys want to write a guest post!

26.2 blog

Facebook page for 26.2

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 20, 2011

I finally hit the 50 pound mark! I've been riding my exercise bike each day and increasing my strength training (with very small weights and lots of crunches!)

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2011

Well, I didn't work out for about 3 weeks due to my 16 day camping trip. When I got back, it took me a while to slowly get back into the routine. Then, last Friday, after I recieved some very sad news about a friend, I decided to work out to work out the anger and sadness in me. I must have overdone it because Sunday around 3 am, I woke up with extreme neck pain, unable to move my neck. It's Wednseday now, and I still have intense pain in my neck, with shooting, stabbing pain running down into my shoulders. Still unable to move my neck, or even sleep properly. :(

So, needless to say, I haven't been able to workout. I did see a doctor yesterday, but she said to just take it easy and see how it goes. I don't think she understood how much pain I was in. I think I will make an appointment with another doctor if this doesn't go away in the next few days.

I have been walking though, at least. And walking on the beach is actually a very good workout.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2011

I've been doing personal training, classes at the gym, and boot camp. Today was bring a friend day at boot camp, and I actually got my husband to go with me. Then he signed up for the next boot camp with me!

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 20, 2011

Can I join in?

Today I did a 30 minute kettle-bell class and then an hour of cross-fit. The pants are getting loose...

13. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2011

Im doing 35 minutes on the stair master each day.
    200 situps then fifty jumping jacks, stretching curls
    and bench presses. Getting ready for PE in Aug

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2011

Well, since summer started I have been at my workouts. I have been managing about 5 days a week, so I am really happy. I really hope I can keep this up during the school year, though. I already feel better. Since I never, EVER weigh myself, it's hard to say if I have lost anything, but I usually go based on how my clothes fit on me.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

I'm starting to not lose weight anymore, just tone and build more muscle. I'm skipping my workout this morning. I may exercise a bit tonight, but I've been 5 days in a row and I think my poor legs need a break today.

16. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

A lot of folks believe that it's simply a matter of burning off more calories than you take in but that's not so. You need to have a nutritional assessment for your body type, meaning have your body fat measured. In order to lose the right type of weight, fat not lean muscle, you need to know how many proteins, carbs, and fat you need to consume daily. Then, be aware that there are good and bad proteins, carbs, and fats. You should never lower your calories below 500 calories of what you need to maintain your TARGET weight, not the weight you are now. If you eat too few calories, your body will go into starvation emergency mode and actually slow down your metabolism thereby holding on to your body fat for dear life. This is why some people get frustrated when they cut calories and don't see the right type of weight loss. Do not let your body use up your muscle for energy. Then also, you want to know your target heart rates and make sure you keep your heart rate at the intensity levels where you are burning up fat and carbs, not proteins. Workouts should be a part of your plan but you need to monitor your heart rate during workouts and also pay attention to what you eat because is 80% of what's going to shape your body is what you put in your mouth. After workouts, you need to feed your muscles lean protein in liquid form so that it can quickly get through your intestinal tract and begin to repair your muscle so the build up of lactaid acid from your workout does not damage your muscles. I know it sounds complicated but it's all about eating and working out smarter, not harder.

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 21, 2011

It's really not all that complicated. I've done just fine (51 pounds off and 5 dress sizes smaller - from 18W to 8 - in seven months) just by counting calories and getting more exercise: walking, stationary bike, dance, small weights, pilates, crunches, whatever! I've also lowered my blood pressure, cholesterol, and body fat percentage. I didn't keep up with proteins or carbs or anything except for calories and sodium. I didn't keep up with heart rate during workout or anything. I didn't do any liquid protein or anything like that and my results are, I must say, quite good. It's really not as complicated as some people try to make it. Don't get discouraged about not having the time to keep up with all of that. I find it's really not necessary. For me, using a calorie counter app on my phone to take in less than I burned off really has worked. (My husband has lost 40 pounds in 6 months doing the same thing I'm doing... it can't be completely worthless...)

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

Congrats, MissCelia!

This heat has been keeping me from running; I had been going 5 times a week, but have only gone twice this week. I'm up to 3 miles, though, alternating 5 minutes running with 1-2 walking. I'm on track for running my 5k in September... :)

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2011

For some people, as long as they put in the effort to watch their calories and to work out on a regular basis, the pounds will eventually start to melt away, and they will see really good progress. As long as they stick to their new way of healthy eating and doable workouts.

BUT, then for other people, it is a struggle. Take my hubby. He does everything he can to lose weight, and yet either the weight stays the same or he gains weight. For him, he probably needs to do all that WindyCityGal said. My husband right now just mainly watches his caloric intake and walks everyday during his lunch time and sometimes again after work with me. And the walks aren't always easy. We live in a hilly town. Poor guy. :( For some people, it just isn't that simple.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2011

I agree that it isn't necessarily that complicated, or at least it never has been for me. Everyone's body is different and reacts differently, so everyone should find what works for me. I actually find that if I have a low-fat diet, I am okay with carbs, and can achieve the results I want, as long as I am exercising. I have never been able to achieve results with doing one and not the other (i.e. exercise but not a healthy diet), so I have to do both.

Also, an important thing to remember, is it should be a lifestyle change. I changed my diet many years ago and maintain it: no beef, no fried foods, lots of chicken and fish, and this year I have gotten better at eating more veggies in my meals (maybe because I am cooking now instead of DH).

I joined a gym when I was 16, which is when I really started getting into fitness and maintaining my health, and there was a poster in the gym that I have never forgotten, but think of often when I need motivation. It said: "There is no finish line". How true is that?