Working While Attending SJSU

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by sadlonelyfeels, Dec 5, 2013.

1. sadlonelyfeels

sadlonelyfeels New Member

Dec 5, 2013

Hello everyone,

First time posting, and I hope this is the correct section. I am going to start my Secondary Credential program at SJSU and wanted to see if it's possible to be a full time student while working.

I usually work 330pm-930pm, but don't know if that will be possible. Any input on what hours would be good working hours?

Thank you all. You are my heroes

3. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 5, 2013

I've been working throughout my BA and credential program. It sucks, but is possible. I returned to school a bit later than my peers, so it wasn't an option not to. Many of my classmates work, although it's not recommended and is not the norm to do so while student teaching full time. I will not be working while I student teach, and all but one of my friends quit their jobs when they started student teaching. The one who does work has very limited hours.

Your scheduled hours should probably depend on when your classes are offered. I tend to work during the day because our classes are plentiful at night, but I have friends who work in the evenings and take all their classes in the morning as well. Are you doing the hours you mentioned 5 days a week? Remember you'll need to have ample time for homework, and right now it doesn't sound like you'd have much.

Edit: Also, I should note that I don't attend SJSU but I am familiar with similar schools, and I'm in the elementary rather than secondary program.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2013

HI and welcome!

In NY, teachers are required to get a Master's. As a result, just about every teacher I know worked full time while going to grad school. We taught all day, then went to grad school, a class or two at a time, in the evenings.

But bison is absolutely right. If there's some flexibility as to when you can work, schedule your hours around the classes you need. If they're undergrad, you may find that most of the education classes are offered during the day to allow for observations.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 5, 2013

I worked through my credential, but my jobs were very flexible.

The way day was usually scheduled was like this:

8am to 3pm student teaching/intern teaching.

We had class approximately 2-3 times a week during the school year (every day almost all day during the summer). On days I had class the schedule was approximately 5pm to 8pm. On the days I didn't have class I worked. In addition to my intern teaching I worked as a tech guy in the university computer lab, and I also worked in an after school program two days a week.

Both of these jobs were very understanding about the schedule and actually designed for someone who was attempting my schedule anyway.

I'm finding it's harder to make time for classes when you're in a job with a rigid schedule like teaching. Even my grocery store job was pretty understanding when I had classes and allowed me to change my schedule quarterly.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 5, 2013

I'm reading this thread as I'm working on a paper for my Data Driven Decision Making class, having taken a personal day to bang out the majority of collecting my data and getting it into clear format. It's a lot of juggling, especially if you have family, but it's worth it in the long run. How my father completed two graduate degrees while working two jobs and raising two kids is beyond me.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 5, 2013

California State Universities' schools of education tend to offer both a full-time daytime program and an accelerated evening program. sadlonelyfeels, the fact that you're working at night makes me think the daytime track might possibly work for you - but it will have you student teaching about eight weeks in, and you might want to ask the advisers to see whether you'll be able to make it to work by 3:30 pm, because I think middle schools and high schools tend to run till nearly then.

8. sadlonelyfeels

sadlonelyfeels New Member

Dec 6, 2013

Wow, this community is amazing! Thank you all for your responses! I learned a lot from reading each of your posts.

I have my first advisor meeting two Wednesdays from now, but this has given me a lot to think about.

Thank you all so much! You all win at life!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2013

Well, sadlonelyfeels, welcome to the club!

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Dec 6, 2013

Just wanted to welcome a fellow SJSU alumnus/alumna to the message boards! :)

SJSU - great school...started out as a school for teachers. :)

Best of luck to you, Spartan!

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 6, 2013

Stick around! We're great for collaboration and commiseration.