word walls

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by rosew, Jun 1, 2008.

1. rosew

rosew Companion

Jun 1, 2008

How many of you use word walls in preschool..especially 3 year olds

Im thinking it cant hurt

rose

3. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Jun 1, 2008

I am required to use a word wall in our K3 program. I was skeptical but they really use it when they are writing in their journals or at the writing center. Ours started out with just their names but then with each theme we added theme related words. It is so much fun to see them be able to do these things!

4. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jun 4, 2008

K3 Teacher, do you by chance have any pics of how yours works? I wanted to incorporate this a couple of years ago` but it never went very far.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 4, 2008

Do you put pictures above the words? I would think labeling would work nicely in preschool. Label the sink, table, chairs.......

6. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Jun 4, 2008

We use a word wall. We also have a print rich environment...everything from the wall to the toilets are labeled. Generally, we start the word wall with a 4X6 index card with the child's picture and their name. We then add words by unit or by which letter of the alphabet we are talking about that week. We again use a 4x6 index card with the word and a picture of it.

7. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Jun 6, 2008

Actually, I just took my word wall down. I am moving my entrie classroom (for the third time in 2 years!). We have a universal alphabet. So, everyone, from K3 - 2nd grade uses the same picture to represent each letter. Those pics are beside the letter with the word underneath. Each child's name is on the wall under their letter. There used to be pictures with them but now they recognize everyone's name without pics so I took the pics off. During each unit we add words and an accompaning picture to the wall under the correct letter. It was pretty full when I took it down this week. I guess we learned a lot this year!
    I print out the words and just try to find clip art that fits. Sometimes we write the words using interactive writing.

Hope this helps!