word walls for middle school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Budaka, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Oct 4, 2007
    Aug 4, 2009

My principal is really into word walls and wants us to do them. However, as I teach middle school language arts I have never done one before. Should I put up vocabulary, spelling? How many words to you put up? Do you change them ever so often or do you just keep adding? Also, I teach several other classes besides language arts so my wall space is somewhat limited. Thanks!
  3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 23, 2005
    Aug 4, 2009

Don't put your spelling or your vocabulary up there. Vocab is best when used on content word walls. You don't want spelling up there because the purpose of a word wall is to provide the correct spelling -- why bother to learn to spell your spelling words if they are featured on the word wall.

Instead, I would add 5 words per week based on what they students are having trouble spelling in their writing -- not their actual spelling words. For instance, in lower elementary, students constantly spell "first" as frist and "friend" as frend. Both of these words end up on the world wall. I'm sure at middle school level there are many words which end up mis-spelled by multiple students on writing assignments. "Answer" comes to mind (anser), and so does government (govermint). Finally, "finally" comes to mind (finely).

Good luck with your word wall.