word wall and homework calendar

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sparklystar, Dec 26, 2008.

1. sparklystar

sparklystar Rookie

Dec 26, 2008

i want to start a word wall with environmental print, and a homework calendar. Can anyone help me with steps, and what should i say to my parents i want to get it out by January so it can be more of a challenge with homework. What ideas can i put in my homework calendar? thank you guys :thanks:

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 27, 2008

I have a video and lots of pics and info about our homework program on my Homework Page. There is a picture of our homework calendar there as well as a sample of one you can download at the bottom in the resources section.
    I also have a whole page about word walls on my site that you may find helpful.

Please let me know if you have any questions about either, I am happy to help.

4. sparklystar

sparklystar Rookie

Dec 28, 2008

how do you introduce your word wall to the parents? in your monthly home work calendar?

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 28, 2008

Not sure what you're asking...the word wall is a tool I use in the classroom with the students so I don't introduce it to the parents.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 28, 2008

Do you have to still tell your parents about it? And how to you break the "my child just needs to be a child" mind set?

7. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Dec 28, 2008

Are you wondering what to tell parents if they disagree with having the children doing homework? I always tell the parents that homework isn't for ME...I don't even keep track of who does their homework and who doesn't...homework is for the kids...to practice & reinforce skills that have been introduced in the classroom & to get kids into the habit of doing "real" homework in elementary school.

I only assign actual returnable homework to my 4s (handwriting practice page), but I do have a section on my weekly newsletter that has 3 items that the parents can work on with their kids...one is always to read to your child, another usually corresponds with our letter that we've been working on & the third is usually a game that often integrates our newest mathematical component.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 28, 2008

OH, I see. I do that too. Setting the table = math is a big one I send out. I get it. I saw tiny people w/huge backpacks full of homework that was being graded. Sorry, think my own personal children's backpacks crept into my mind.:eek:

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 28, 2008

None of my homework is returnable either, you can read all about it on my Homework Page or watch the video there that explains it all. I explain the homework to the parents at our "homework night" that we hold in early October. We show them the video followed by a Q & A session, then I hand out the materials.

10. sparklystar

sparklystar Rookie

Dec 28, 2008

do you tell the kids to bring in a printout of the letter of the alphabet to hang on the word wall?

11. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Dec 28, 2008

I just use a regular alphabet strip (the kind w/ the upper/lower case, plus a corresponding picture) & you can cut them into individual letters to make more room for yourself, depending on how much space you have in your room on your wall. The kids will bring in environmental print (cereal boxes they can read, mcdonald's bags, etc) and you will put them up underneath the corresponding letter with the kids. You will also want to add their names to the wall, along with color words!

12. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 28, 2008

OIC :) Thanks for clarifying. I do have the kids bring in environmental print to put on the word wall and I send a letter to the parents explaining what environmental print is and why it is important. I put up the alphabet strip on the wall first. You can read all the details of how I do it on myword wall page.

13. sparklystar

sparklystar Rookie

Dec 28, 2008

kk thanks guys :D im going to start this is January very excited

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 28, 2008

Whew, thanks for clarifying what you mean by homework. I was about to explode with dismay when I first read "homework" for preschoolers. I wish another word could be used rather than homework.

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2008

I actually think (at least in my area) that the parents respond better when I call it homework, and they are more apt to actually do it with the kids. On my homework calendars, there are a few paper/pencil tasks each month (usually things like practice writing your name or cut out the letters from newspapers to form your name, etc.), but most of the activities are hands-on (match pairs of sock as you help do laundry or help your mom sort a handful of coins). I don't want to see any homework returned, either...for me, it's more for the parents to see their kids' growth and the sorts of skills and activities we consider appropriate for this age...

As for word walls, we have to maintain two. One is a name word wall, where all of the kids' pictures and names go in alphabetical order under alphabet headings. Another is a seasonal word wall, where words/pictures that are relevant to the season or unit are displayed for the kids to read/write/draw about - if they choose to do so.

Kim

16. sparklystar

sparklystar Rookie

Dec 30, 2008

great idea.