Word Analogies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by a2z, Oct 5, 2018.

1. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 5, 2018

I think it is time to start teaching word analogies again starting in elementary school. Verbal reasoning is critical to critical thinking skills. In addition, word analogies also require increase of vocabulary knowledge and the understanding that words have full definition and meaning. Slight difference in similarly defined words makes a difference when analyzing meaning in written work.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2018

How would you propose doing so in an authentic manner that doesn't simply add to the plates / add to already-implemented curriculum? (Asking honestly, hopefully it doesn't come off in a combatant way!)

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 5, 2018

I didn't see your post as combative. I'll answer the best I can because I am not sure what you mean by "authentic". It confuses me just as much as the over use of the term "organic".

There is difficulty adding this to a school or district that has a prescribed curriculum where everything is laid out for the teacher to implement since they will not want to take their canned content and change it. I do agree that is an issue.

However, there are many classrooms where the curriculum isn't dictated and there are many parts of instruction that just aren't producing the time/benefit effectiveness needed. It is just looking at what is done and removing less effective methods to make room for different methods.

I see analogies as word puzzles. Analogies can stand on their own for learning or be part of a grammar or language development.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 6, 2018

It’s one of my state standards.

otterpop likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 6, 2018

Really? That's interesting! What is the actual standard?

nstructor likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 6, 2018

I don't teach analogies really, but it's easy to see how they could be used to strengthen vocabulary skills.

Our curriculum often asks for the synonym or antonym of a vocabulary word. It would be very easy to put this into analogy form.
    Is this something that was regularly taught in previous years? It wasn't something I learned in school, although I've always liked logic puzzles.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 7, 2018

4(2)(C) complete analogies using knowledge of antonyms and synonyms (e.g., boy:girl as male:____ or girl:woman as boy:_____);

otterpop likes this.
  9. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 8, 2018

I'm sure it depended on where you were educated. Just like anything in education, it depends.