Woo-hoo, party time it's Saturday School!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Cicero, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jan 12, 2013

:lol: I am going to be doing Saturday school today for kiddos that have missed too many days. I have never done one of these before.

Other thoughts -- there is no one here to watch the kiddos if I have to go to the restroom. I guess I should just leave them and explain expectations for while I am out of the room? It is only 6 kids, and I have a fairly good relationship with all of them.

Have you ever had to do something like this before? I have grade entering and lesson planning to keep me busy for now.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2013

I have never heard of Saturday school outside of these forums. I'm curious how common it is? Do the students have work to do independently or do you have lessons to teach?

4. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jan 12, 2013

Students are working on any assignments that they missed during the absences that led them to receiving Saturday school. I don't have to teach anything; I just make sure they are being productive.

5. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jan 12, 2013

So I am waiting with the kiddos as well as some others that were here for another Saturday activity (their teachers just sent them out to wait without anyone). I'm left with just one of these other students left. His mother pulls up and asks me if I am a student. Seriously? I know I look young, but I definitely don't look like middle school young!

She then remarked again before she left that I looked too young to be the teacher. Great end to my long Saturday morning, ha.

6. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jan 12, 2013

We had Saturday school at my high school when I was a student. It was a sort of detention from what I remember - a punishment given for various reasons. I never had to go, but my impression was that it was a study hall of sorts.

7. ChoiceAdvocate

ChoiceAdvocate Rookie

Jan 12, 2013

What state are you in? I've done some Saturday tutorials before. :)

8. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jan 12, 2013

NC. Ours is just designed for students who have missed more than the maximum days of school. It doesn't have any ties to their behavior or grades.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2013

M44,
    How did it go?
    Rebel1

10. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jan 12, 2013

Just fine. I got all of my grades updated and lesson plans submitted for the week! most productive I have been on a Saturday in a while, ha! Plus it adds to my annual leave time so now I can miss a non mandatory work day :)