Won't listen to his teachers...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by HappyLearning, Mar 21, 2012.

1. HappyLearning

HappyLearning Rookie

Mar 21, 2012

I've been teaching for 6 years now and know that, generally, teachers get better behavior out of children than their own parents. But now I'm the parent-- and my son is the opposite. He is very compliant and easy going with my husband and me... but at school, he pretty much ignores the directions of any other adult. I am his classroom teachers this year, but I have three assistants and he's got 2 prior years of preschool, and he's never really listened to any of them well (or aunts, grandparents, etc). He did come to us as a foster child about a year ago and has some early trauma, and that's certainly something to consider, BUT I'm not the type of parent that think his history explains and excuses any undesirable behavior. He's very bright, but just doesnt listen to other adults... hardly at all.

Have any of you encountered this? Any ideas for me?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2012

It's nice that you are in the classroom with him right now. I would continue to reinforce him when he does listen to the other adults in the room or even other adults outside of your husband and you.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 22, 2012

Happy, you are a Head Start teacher, if I remember correctly. Can you have the Ed Manager or Health Supervisor observe and/or evaluate his needs?