Won't get paid until September! Help!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by bluegill, Sep 2, 2014.

1. bluegill

bluegill Rookie

Sep 2, 2014

I am a first year teacher; I accepted a job in a rural district. My daily commute is 85 miles 1 way. I am struggling to make ends meet right now. Rent is due, bills are due, college loans are due, and gas is very expensive. I just found out I will not get paid until September 20th. I don't know what I can do. I am going to talk to the business manager this afternoon to see if there are any options.

What can I do? My wife got paid from her school but it is not enough to cover the expenses. The last time I got paid was in July and I am down to $300.

3. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 2, 2014

Definitely talk to the business manager...two of the districts I've been in it was possible for new teachers to receive a portion of their check on Sept. 1 and the remainder on pay day for the exact reason you are talking about.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 2, 2014

You might also check in with local churches or ministerial alliances. I know our MA does assistance short term and short notice, if it is documented and a pressing need.

There may be other community groups or associations that can offer fast assistance.

I'm sorry that this is happening to you. The reflection on how this country treats teachers is not lost on me here.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2014

I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. I know it was hard my first year going between the current job and teaching. Luckily my district provided their new teachers with the opportunity to get paid over 13 months and so we received our first paychecks in Aug. I know it's a bit late for that so hopefully you can find other resources.

6. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Sep 2, 2014

I just want to say you are not the only one in this position. I started my job on August 18, but won't get paid until September 30th!!! That's 6 weeks of work with no paycheck! I worked previously at a school where our first paycheck was August 30th, so I had budgeted this summer expecting that my first paycheck here would be August 30th. I am having to borrow money from my family and I feel guilty.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2014

I had a similar situation in February. Luckily, my mom let me use her credit card. However, the district was willing to advance me some money if I really needed it.

8. Cobalt_Waves

Cobalt_Waves Rookie

Sep 2, 2014

Credit cards?

9. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Sep 2, 2014

Like someone mentioned before about the credit union. They will many times give you a $1000 loan and you just get a $100 deduction a month to repay it. Your business manager will probably tell you about if they do when have your meeting.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 2, 2014

I've seen advertisements for this in several places. Hopefully, they have something like that close to you.

The first check of the school year usually is in September but your district should have told you. This is one of the hidden rules of teaching, I guess.

11. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Sep 3, 2014

Savings? Credit cards?

12. bluegill

bluegill Rookie

Sep 3, 2014

One of the staff was very empathetic to my situation and lent me some money. I am very grateful! Unfortunately there wasn't a way to work around the contract and get a partial payment.

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 3, 2014

Wow, that was very nice of them!

I feel your pain - my last paycheck from my former job was 2 months before the first paycheck for my current job...and we moved in that time frame, which is SO expensive. We had help from family...

Also...stop the loans! You can put a forbearance on the loans, no questions asked, for up to 36 months total over the life of the loan. A couple months is not going to hurt you much in the long run.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2014

Have you gotten your first check yet? I've been counting down to September 5th since my last check on June 27th! Of course, I had no idea that June 27th was going to be my last check until June 23rd. The district messed up and didn't divide my checks out to last the summer and no one realized it until they were working on payroll. So I took 2 months off unpaid with no notice :eek:

Two more days!!! (Or a day and a half, really!)

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 4, 2014

Many times I have heard you should always have at least 2 months worth of salary in your savings account for emergencies. This would be one of the reasons that's a good idea. Anyway, I agree that you should try to get your loans postponed a bit. Hopefully whatever money that person lent you will help.

16. bluegill

bluegill Rookie

Sep 4, 2014

Yeah I have heard that, too. Unfortunately I have just not made enough in the past to build a savings. I lost my old vehicle in a collision accident in April and had to scrape pennies together for a used car down payment!