Wondering

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SCTeachInTX, Aug 2, 2011.

1. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 2, 2011

Wow! Your husband is wonderful! And correct!

2. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 2, 2011

Your husband is awesome!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 2, 2011

SCteachinTexas, I agree that lower grade teachers are soooo important! Teachers of tested grades are not miracle workers--I cannot get my kids ready for the test if they do not come to ready to learn my grade level standards! Unfortunately, in my last school, the lower grade teachers did not believe they had any responsibility in regards to test scores, and always blamed the upper grade teachers for being in school improvement. It takes ALL the teachers to make the kids successful! :)

4. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

Our principal did a major shake up for next year. We will see how it works out.
    As for the ability of the teacher and the grade, I am biased as a 2nd grade teacher. However, if I do not do a good job of teaching how to read, math fundamentals, and comprehension my students will not do well testing the following year. True, I do not have the stress of "The Tests" (thank goodness as a new teacher), but I want all my students leaving my class with the bases to learn what is needed in third grade to rock the test. :)

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 2, 2011

Where is my LIKE button?

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 2, 2011

:hijack:

Well, I can teach Calculus (and more), and I have to say that I would likely be a colossal flop if placed in a kindergarten room. Early childhood teacher have the weight of the world on their shoulders. Literally. If they don't lay strong foundations, all the teachers after them will have a difficult time catching up. Kindergarten should be reserved for the very best among us. JMO.

7. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Aug 2, 2011

Before I started teaching high school, I did some subbing in the neighborhood. One assignment was two weeks in kindergarten for a teacher I knew personally who was out for minor surgery. I don't think I've ever worked so hard in my life!

The kids were great, but I realized that you really have to have your "stuff" together to be able to work in the younger grades. You not only have a major responsibility in teaching the academics for that level, but instilling good social skills is huge with younger kids. When I look back at my own kids' grade school, it is obvious that the principal there realized this, because his strongest teachers were in the younger grades.

8. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2011

Unfortunately principals will move people to grades the person does not want to teach to get them to retire or change schools. It is usually effective; but not very good for the kids.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2011

I agree--I couldn't do it!