Women: Business Casual

Discussion in 'General Education' started by maestraraven96, Aug 11, 2018.

1. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Aug 11, 2018

Hi,
    I am a new teacher and the dress code for my school is business casual. The principal told me
    business casual has become more subjective over the years, so she wants to be more professional?
    I tend to wear a lot of dresses. What types of dresses would be business casual? Or other outfits.
    Thank you

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 11, 2018

Dress pants and blouses should work. I would personally say dress pants and a nice sweater would also work but that's more subjective. Lots of really nice blazers out there that can help dress up an outfit!

otterpop likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2018

A better question would be, what kind of dresses are you planning to wear? Too short, too revealing - well, I think that indicates NOT acceptable as business casual. Modest is the one word that comes to mind - look nice without trying to look overtly sexy. I wear pants, and it means neat, clean, not jeans, not skin tight, with tops that are, once again, not too revealing. Staff is held to the same dress code as students. No bra straps showing, nothing see through, shoes with backs - those are just basics. It is really common sense. I almost always have a sweater or jacket with me, more because our A/C is unpredictable.

A lot will depend on the age range you are teaching.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  5. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 11, 2018

Wrap dresses, denim dresses, maxi dresses, and my personal favorite: t-shirt dresses (dressed up with accessories, of course.) When it gets cooler, riding boots with sweaters are a great option.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 11, 2018

My rule of thumb is: If you put it on and question it when you look in the mirror, then you should probably change before you leave the house.

nstructor likes this.
  7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 11, 2018

I also recommend having a couple of blazers or jackets or SOMETHING with multiple pockets. I have a particular jacket I use in almost lab coat fashion to get myself into teacher mode.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 11, 2018

An easy way to get business casual look going is to go for neutral & pseudo neutral colors for bottoms. (black, brown, gray, navy, olive green) A classic trouser or skirt (top of knee or below knee) should be fine.

Sheath dresses look really nice for business casual. Shift dresses can work, too.

I'd avoid t-shirt knit and denim fabrics. Those are casual, although some people try to put them into business casual.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2018

These sound fine. Adding a scarf or cardi can ‘up’ the professional look.

ssgirl11 likes this.
  10. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Aug 11, 2018

Just be conservative and not sloppy. I honestly think that's all people ask for in a business casual environment. Jeans and t-shirts may not be welcome. I'd be careful with wrap dresses also because they can slip and slide around and reveal more than you want revealed.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2018

Safety pins and camis can help!

Joyful! likes this.
  12. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 12, 2018

If you are wearing something that is semi-casual (like a dressier peasant shirt, non t-shirt material) make sure you pair it with a structured skirt rather than a peasant shirt with a gauzy skirt. I say that because it is easier to look professional if one piece would be considered business wear and the other business casual. As mentioned, dress slacks not jeans. A solid colored t-shirt can appear as a blouse if you pair it with the right items. (cardi with jewelry, scarf, blazer). That's my take on business casual - it's not a suit, but it's not Saturday shopping with the girls either. :)

otterpop likes this.
  13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 12, 2018

Can anyone share a reasonably priced website for teacher clothes? I've been having such a hard time finding "business casual" clothing.

I've been through the same thing with shoes but after buying and returning four pairs from Amazon I finally found a pair that will work.

14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 12, 2018

My rule for myself is no skirts or dresses above knee length at work. There are plenty of nice looking dresses shorter than that that other teachers wear, but personally I'd rather not worry too much when I'm bending down to help a student at their table.

bella84 likes this.
  15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 12, 2018

I wear shorts under my dresses and skirts I look dumpy in skirts below the knee. Must be because I have short legs. I go with top of the kneecap length.

I shop Penneys and Kohls mostly because they are the closest stores. I'll shop anywhere.

bella84 likes this.
  16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 12, 2018

I like Loft a lot. I shop at the outlet mostly and especially when they have good sales.

bella84 likes this.
  17. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2018

I shop at Loft, too - mostly because they have a good petite section. That said, my school is pretty casual, so I don’t shop at Loft as much as I used to. I get a lot from Target, Gap, and Old Navy.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Aug 14, 2018

Do you have a Dress Barn? I stop in there every so often and they have a clearance rack, lots of sales, and coupons. I pick up a shirt or a pair of pants now and then to build up my wardrobe and if you are a smart shopper it's very affordable. A lot of stores send you coupons if you sign up with your email so even expensive stores can be affordable if you shop smart.

Joyful! likes this.
  19. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 14, 2018

If you shop in store at Dress Barn they have a great loyalty card that gives you fifteen or twenty dollars each time you hit the spending amount. If you do it online, they just have discounts. Either way, most of the things I've gotten there have been pieces that stood the test of time in the classroom. :)

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Aug 15, 2018

Yeah, I forgot about the loyalty card. I love their jeans and pants. They have petite which is hard for me to find sometimes.