WISHING EVERYONE A HAPPY SUMMER!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Been There, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Been There

Been There Cohort

Jun 7, 2018

Here's wishing everyone a happy summer vacation! This has been quite a year for some of you - exhausting, stressful and downright awful. Whether you had a great year or a lousy one, I hope you seek opportunities to recharge, rejuvenate or just rest.

As a frequent contributor to this forum, I hope that my responses have been helpful to those that are desperate for advice. Even though I'm retired, I like to think that my diverse experiences may provide some useful insight to those who are confronting the many challenges in our troubled public education system.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2018

Still have a few weeks to go, but I'm looking forward to that opportunity to recharge.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2018

A few weeks?! That’s just awful. My schoolyear ended on May 31st and I jumped for joy when it concluded. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job, but I look forward to my summers because they are far less structured and I have more time (less this summer) due my being able to focus on hobbies and shopping, lol!

Good luck to you and stick in there.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2018

Everybody is CRAWLING to June 22 here... You can definitely tell it's the end as the kids are over school and are all sick of each other.
    At this point it's about crowd control and putting out fires... and I'm a sub so it's extra "fun.''
    :rofl:
    If people want to know whether or not they want to teach -- work with the kids around this time of the year, when they're at their worst, to help you decide.
    :)

Summer's coming... slowly, but surely!
    :celebrate:

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2018

We finish at the very end of June. This is the school year calendar I've always had--as a student (many, many years ago), as a parent, and as a teacher. I love my job and look forward to my 9 weeks off as well; my summer just starts a little later than yours.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  7. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jun 8, 2018

Last day of classes here was May 24th. I'm not teaching yet, student teaching in the Fall 2018, but I'm glad that classes are done for me and my kiddos. My daughter graduated May 21st and my stepson got married May 24th, so I was ready for all the extra craziness to end.

I hope everyone has a great summer!!!:)

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jun 8, 2018

DH's students went home on May 29, and my students went home on May 31. He had PD one day this week, and I had PD three days this week. Now we are both officially on summer break.

We decided not to do a big vacation this summer, but we are going away for a few days. Other than that, we are going to enjoy doing whatever we want to do the rest of the summer.

I go back July 30 for open house. DH doesn't go back until August 22.

9. futuremathsprof

Jun 8, 2018

Why is your summer so short? I left on May 31st and my school doesn’t start back up again until the third week in August.

I’m confused.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jun 8, 2018

We got out late because of making up a days missed for snow and flu.

We went to school all of spring break and made up the rest at the end of the school year. We should have gotten out May 16. We start early because we have a week off in October, too.

One year we got out June 11 and started July 25 or 26. It was awful.

11. futuremathsprof

Jun 8, 2018

I’m so sorry. I wish it worked out better than it did... :(

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 9, 2018

Summer is here :) My second day. So far, the first day I did get up at 4:30 am to do some fishing (didn't catch anything), but other than that I've been sleeping a lot ! lots of naps lol

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Rookie

Jun 9, 2018

I got married on May 26th, went back to school until May 31st. We went to Jamaica on our honeymoon all last week and arrived home at 3am last night. Can't wait for a nice RELAXING summer! Happy summer everyone!