Winter theme ideas for Preschool

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by zoey'smom, Dec 23, 2011.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Dec 23, 2011

I am looking for some great ideas to do when we get back from break. What activities do you do? I would like some new ideas. Thanks for your help. I have 3-5 year olds.

3. christine89

christine89 Companion

Dec 23, 2011

Winter Animals (Penguins, Polar Bears)
    Winter Weather/Science Related-Where snow comes from, how it melts, etc.
    There might be some really good winter theme plans out there too. A suggestion would be to pull ideas from that.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 23, 2011

Winter
    Hibernation/Migration
    Winter Clothes - we do a unit on The Mitten by Jan Brett complete with a recreation of the book and comparing other versions of the story and The Hat by Jan Brett
    Ice and states of matter/water cycle

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 23, 2011

We read the Jan Brett snow type stories when we get back. Many of those same themes as above are what we do too!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2011

Popsicle, ice safety (skating on the pond)---often you can find a police officer or fire fighter to come talk about this, ice skating, people dressed for winter

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 23, 2011

One of our favorite family extensions is to ask them to make sensory table ice to melt with turkey basters. Have the parents fill everything they can find with ice and place it in the largest deepest freezer they have. If they have those trinket type toys that they don't desire to have returned then ask them to freeze those into the block. Your children use the turkey basters, eye droppers, colored water, salt or all of the above to try to melt out the items. Or hang the items outside a window to watch melt. By the end of winter we are trying our hand at filling these tubs and setting them outside to see if the overnight chill will freeze them.

Offer gloves at the table if you are concerned about the chill....the plastic type of snow gloves not the knit ones.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2011

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 23, 2011

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2011

It won't be a shock to anyone that I also do this but we do it in the biggest pans we can find so they are large slabs and the kids use hammers to break it up. Lots of fun for those of us who don't get really cold weather.

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 24, 2011

Nope, not surprised......I think we lesson plan together.

12. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Dec 28, 2011

I think this year I'm bringing my Christmas tree to school in the stand. I'll put it outside where we can see it and we'll decorate it for the birds. I want to learn about the birds that don't migrate, as well as migration, adaptation, and hibernation. These will shape out studies for the next few weeks.

We'll be reading Jan Brett The Mitten pretty soon after getting back to school.

I love the ice ideas.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 28, 2011

There are a lot of books in the "Christmas" classification that have nothing to do with presents and everything to do with feeding the animals during the winter. They Santas don't even even look like our Coke a Cola Santa but more like the Father Christmas of other countries.

That would be so fun! We have winter, but our animals don't really come to eat, we don't get enough snow to make it challenging for the to find food. We just get cold. There are some Wildlife Federation links that will tell you what animals you have and what they eat. BTW coconut shells (after you take the coconut out ....with the kids of course) makes a great hanging food bowl!

If it last long enough, you could go straight into nest building! There are also sites that watch for the migration to return to your area and your class types in how many of a specific bird they see on a given day.

14. errrika

errrika Rookie

Dec 29, 2011

I was planning on doing "ocean life" when I went back to school but had trouble figuring out how to make it real for my students. (other than buying a goldfish or something)

But now I'm thinking of focusing on polar animals, or animals that live on ice. That way I can bring in ice and talk do a bit on the water cycle too.

Any more ideas on this topic you could share? :)

15. errrika

errrika Rookie

Dec 29, 2011

I love the idea about ice in the sensory table. So, the families bring in object frozen into ice to place in sensory table? I think it would be difficult to transport the ice to school (all of my students take bus) but I could ask them to help me make the ice and use the fridge in school possibly...

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 29, 2011

Kids on the bus would be a challenge.

You are right lessons are much better when the children can relate. I guess I should explain that we are really working on ICE as our lesson. We use the fact that Santa goes home to get the children thinking about the poles....and the conversation about what might live there DOES happen. We aren't memorizing all of the life forms in each pole and the temp and what not. They really just show up in our play and in our books about the ice at the poles. The only learning objective I have for the pole part...is to learn that "polar bears and penguins do not live together". Then we find books that show them living together and giggle at the mistake.

We do also talk about north and south and find them on compasses and take those outside. Again just for a small topic so I can include a tool. We Geocache in the summer, so it isn't totally a foreign piece of technology.