Will past haunt me?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ManUfan, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ManUfan

ManUfan Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Okay I have a quick question, I didn't get a dui, but a dwai, a Driving While Ability Impaired charge, regrettably for driving high, however this was about 4 or 5 years ago, I cant remember whether it was a felony or misdemeanor, but no one else was involved, or hurt. I didn't have much marijuana, In Colorado penalties range really high if its over an ounce. But like I said I had squat. That aside I did my time paid over $10,000 for court, probation, classes, license reinstatment etc. Since then I have got my license back and have stayed clean as a whistle.

I am really hoping to teach 6th grade one day, and I made a huge mistake, and I am a far more intelligent person than I was in high school. So what I was wondering:
    -Will a DWAI bar me from teaching? and in Colorado if anyone knows?
    -Is there someway I can get it expunged or is it there forever?
    -I also want to work at a day care in the meantime until I get my credentials/licensure and how will that be affected?

If anybody has some answers to these questions I would greatly appreciate it!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Whether you can get a teaching license will depend on your state and district. Some places will happily accept you if you've shown that you're reformed and unlikely to commit this sort of crime in the future.

You might consider contacting a lawyer to find out whether it can be expunged from your record. I think it can sometimes be done, but it will probably cost a significant amount of money and time.

In any event, unless and until it is expunged, do NOT leave it off your applications. Lying on an application for a license or a teaching job is grounds for termination with no possibility for rehire or relicensing.

4. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I don't know the answers to your questions, ManUfan, but to better address your inquiries, I would suggest starting a new thread on the "General Education" forum. That way, with an appropriate title, those who may have information will better be able to find your question and address it.

Good luck!

5. ManUfan

ManUfan Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

oh sorry i meant to click on a thread already started on this topic but accidentally posted in this forum but thanks anyways

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

ManUfan,
    I honestly think you need to speak with someone in the Human Resources department for your school board/district. I know of someone who had a misdemeanor on her record, and as long as it wasn't a felony, they still hired her and she's a great teacher. Oh, before you call human resources, get with your attorney or the court system and FIND OUT whether it was a misdemeanor or felony, because the difference between them can be devastating!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2007

ManUfan, I moved your post and the responses to its own thread.

8. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

At my University, where I just graduated from in December, we had to fill out a felony and misdemenor form. It asked if we have been convicted of any felony/misd. with regards to drugs, alcohol or sexual offences. :( I have not had any of the convictions so I do not know how they handle it, but they do look for it. I have also made mistakes, just lucky enough to not get convictions!:eek: It is hard to imagine that silly mistakes I made when I was younger could have impacted my career now! I hope that your passion to teach overshadows your past! Good Luck!

9. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

ManUfan - No, you shouldn't have done what you did, but I admire your courage for being honest and asking for help. Keep being honest and ask God to guide you in this.

10. ManUfan

ManUfan Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Well I found out some good news while I was on the horn all day, so my chances are lets say above 60% that my life goal is not completely shattered. However I just e-mailed one of my Profs. today and he said I should call the Colorado Dept. of Edu. so wish me luck.

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

I wouldn't email them until you find out what it was...misdemeanor or felony. Seriously. If you are able to get it expunged, why tell them first?

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2007

I may be wrong, but I don't think getting it expunged does any good. Since public schools are governmental agencies, I think they can see those records. Only private companies wouldn't see it... I'm obviously not a lawyer, so excuse me if I am wrong.

13. ManUfan

ManUfan Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Well can't I just make an anonymous phone call lol, if they ask say Mr. X, John Doe, etc. and hang up. Hmm I could go even as far as to call from a pay phone. I mean its just a simple straight forward question that someone could answer, nothing too specific. Or will big brother be watching me? Nah probably not